(Closed) IS $3500 too much?

posted 9 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Is $3500 too much for this dress?
    Yes! : (9 votes)
    18 %
    Yes, the other dress is so similar that it's worth saving $3000! Get that one instead! : (30 votes)
    59 %
    No. : (9 votes)
    18 %
    No, as long as you resell it after. : (3 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 4
    1276 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2009

Hmmm, it sounds a bit like the $3500 one is out of your budget.  I’m a big believer that you should love your dress, but also that you shouldn’t break the bank to get it.  If you will need to recover money from the more expensive one just to afford it, I would say don’t get it.  What if you are unable to do so (or you spill something on it)?  But if you’re not in love with the cheaper one, keep looking.  You should not have to feel that you settled, and I think the huge variety of dresses at all price points that brides have posted on these boards will show you that you can find the dress you love on your budget.

BTW, I voted that the dress itself is worth the price tag, but that doesn’t mean it is to you.

Post # 5
    2022 posts
    Buzzing bee

Did you set a budget for how much you want to spend on your dress?  That may have a bearing on my vote.

Post # 7
    271 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

Could you have one made very similar to the more expensive one for less?

Post # 8
    2022 posts
    Buzzing bee

I think you should stick to your budget.  Those numbers were set for a reason, remember : )

The other dress is gorgeous as well and you will look great in it.

Post # 9
    445 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

Planning on selling your dress to recoup your losses isn’t a great plan.  It’s like counting on your year-end bonus to buy Christmas gifts.  If you’ve set a budget for a dress, I would stay within that budget.  But, I am not a dress girl.  It’s one of the lowest priorities for me.  🙂

Post # 10
    231 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

Caitlin, I was in a similar situation with my dress shopping.  I fell in love with an Ines di Santo dress.  The silk, Swarkovski crystals, and designer nametag added up to a $3800 pricetag. 

But then I found a similar dress in the same style that was just as beautiful.  The big difference was just the price (since the new dress was satin with glass beading instead of the fancier stuff): $449.

Save the $3K and spend it on your honeymoon!!

Post # 11
    3332 posts
    Sugar bee

Personally, I didn’t want to go outside my budget, no matter how much I loved my dress.  I set a limit and I really stuck to it.  There was a dress I really loved when I was shopping, but I didn’t even consider it because it was twice what I wanted to spend.  Of course, I’m a pretty price-conscious person AND we’re paying for the wedding ourselves.  I think only you (and your checkbook) know for sure about the best thing to do.

Post # 12
    126 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

Buy the Casablanca, get a nice brooch to attach where the fancier dress has it, save $3000.  Think of what you could do with $3000 extra for something else in the wedding, or even for the honeymoon.

Post # 14
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

Agreed. Personally I think $3500 is ridiculous. that’s a vacation! I’m sure you will look just as lovely (perhaps more due to your money-saving glow, haha) in the less expensive, just as gorgeous dress!

if you were talking a few hundred, i’d go "ehhhH" but you know, you’re talking like two thousand bucks girl. I think you’ll be just as happy in a less expensive dress. It’s easy to get caught up in the fanciness of dresses and how luxe they are. 

And don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched. As in, don’t assume you’ll sell the dress and count on that to make back some dough. you may not, after all! especially after it’s altered and everything. 

Post # 15
    606 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

SAVE the 3000! The Casablanca is JUST AS BEAUTIFUL. It will make the same romantic, gorgeous statement. I have seen many Casablanca dresses and they are great quality. Casablanca is very very nice. 3000 is a LOT of money. You wear the dress for one night and they are soooo similar! The only difference is the more expensive one has the brooch. Find a brooch and they will be almost identical. You will not regret going with the Casablanca!

Post # 16
    360 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2009 - Westwind YWCA camp

Have you looked to see what the resell value of your dress would be?

Did I miss what the brand is?  Try looking at preownedweddingdresses.com or oncewed.com for the dress you want.  Not to buy used, but to get an idea of how much it’s selling for used.

I bought a designer gown, but it’s a relatively popular design, so I’m confident I’ll be able to recoup a lot of the $$ I paid for it.

Without seeing both dresses in person, I can’t really say if the Casablanca is a good substitute…

Good luck with your decision!! 

The topic ‘IS $3500 too much?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors