(Closed) Does $385 sound too expensive for platinum prongs?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
  • poll:
    Yes : (6 votes)
    24 %
    No : (19 votes)
    76 %
  • Post # 3
    699 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

i haven’t done this personally but when i was calling around asking about white gold prongs (which is obviously a bit cheaper) it was about half that price. so i don’t think it sounds TOTALLY off

Post # 4
    2999 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

The way they put platinum to gold is harder than gold to gold so it is more time consuming plus platinum is more expensive. I think it sounds right. About the same price we were quoted when looking at settings

Post # 5
    717 posts
    Busy bee

I work at a service center and a customer wanted to do the same switch.  The ocst was about half of that.  Take into account that we only charged the basic cost, there’s no profit mark up because we are not a jewelry store.  Ask around at a few different places just to get an idea of their costs.

Post # 6
    5495 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2013

Sounds high to me. I got an entire platinum band for $400 from a local jewler and switched the head out for a different one (which was white gold but still only $50)!

Post # 7
    5405 posts
    Bee Keeper

That sounds reasonable to me. It probably will vary from store to store, as one of the best local stores we looked at charges more than mall/chain stores for higher quality jewelery. You could ask for a quote at a few other places so you know what your options are. 

Post # 8
    9217 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

I JUST had this done on my ring.  Well, similar at least – it’s an heirloom ring thats >100 years old, so the platinum prongs had to be rebuilt a bit as they were somewhat worn down.  Just to rebuild them, not fully replace them, was $60/prong or $250.  So to entirely replace them for $385 sounds reasonable.  Platinum is expensive, but super durable. 

Post # 9
    8042 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

@futuremrskgt:  Sounds about right if that includes labor.

Platinum isn’t cheap. A basic thin band is at least $400 in itself… no prongs or anything. Most platinum settings are over $1,000, so the head being around $400 seems reasonable.. especially if it includes the labor to weld it onto the WG band etc.

Post # 10
    5289 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: January 2010

Sounds right to me. I had to replace the head on an old ring when I changed the stone. It cost me about $450 to put on a new platinum head (including labour and such).

Post # 11
    114 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

I’m no jeweler or expert on metals, but from what I’ve heard (and done a little research on), platinum can get bent out of shape fairly easily.  The prongs can bend and the stone can be lost, or the ring can get squished/deformed if it is all platinum.  However, the metal does not wear away over time like gold can.  I personally would rather have my metal wear away slowly (and get it checked/fixed every few years) than risk accidentally smacking my ring on something and losing a special, heirloom stone.

Not trying to scare you away from platinum, but it’s something to think about!

And back to the question you asked….that price does seem just a bit high.  Like PP said, I would shop around.  Not sure where you live, but the price may be higher just because of your location!

Post # 12
    1629 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

sound about right when you consider labor and materials

The topic ‘Does $385 sound too expensive for platinum prongs?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors