(Closed) Is $450 over priced for 3 bouquets and a cake topper from the florist?!

posted 5 years ago in Flowers
  • poll: Is the florist over priced based on the look I want?
    Yes a lot, find another florist : (20 votes)
    31 %
    Yes, just a little. : (11 votes)
    17 %
    No, keep the florist. : (33 votes)
    52 %
  • Post # 4
    4415 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: December 2010

It depends on where you live.  Here where I live, that would be expensive, but I don’t know about Dallas.  We got 10 elaborate centerpieces, two buffet centerpieces, one DJ table centerpiece, five bouts, and four coursages for $700.

Post # 5
    2705 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

It really depends on the type of flowers used.

The Bridesmaid or Best Man bouquets seem to be reasonable (mine were $65 each), but your bouquet and the flower topper seem a bit much to me.  I paid $45 for a whole basket of flowers and my bouquet was only $125.

I would ask her what types of flowers she plans on using and go from there.  If she’s using lots of lillies, roses, peonies, hydrangeasm then $225 might be reasonable.

Post # 7
    8464 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2013

@sheepandbear:  peonies tend to be on the pricey side.  If you you less expensive flowers, such as carnations, it will make the price go down.

Post # 8
    112 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

Here’s my take: it’s what you want, and while expensive, doesn’t seem to be so over budget that you’ve walked away yet, so I think you should stick with this florist. You can’t walk around over-paying, totally agree, but sometimes nice things cost more money than we’d like, and if we decide to get them and decide they are important, then you just gotta fork it over. You never regret paying for quality with important items, right? Sounds like with this florist, you’ll get what you want.

Post # 9
    2705 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

@sheepandbear:  I would definitely ask about using other flowers.  You can also give her a total dollar amount of what you want to spend and see what she can do – that’s what we did.

Post # 11
    822 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

i think it depends on the flowers she’s using.  you sent her the inspiration pictures.  has she listed the types of flowers she will be using?  i think it’s reasonable.  i think i paid just a little more for just my bouquet because i wanted red peonies.  my bouquet had over 24 peonies.  the flowers for my cake was about $50.  i also paid qutie a bit for setup, delivery, and all the other surcharges.

Post # 13
    6256 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: March 2014

I’d just DIY the cake topper. Florists do tend to egregiously overcharge for those, when many times you can just go down to Whole Foods and buy the same flowers to stick on the top. Unlike bouquets, bouttenieres, and centerpieces, it really takes about zero skill as long as you have a decent eye for composition and color.

That quote does sound a little high to me. But it all depends on the flowers they use. Did you tell them a budget beforehand, or are you just letting them go with whatever? If you emphasize that you’re trying to stay within a budget, they may be willing to negotiate, or figure out ways to use different flowers to save you some money.

Post # 14
    331 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

Just to give you an idea… I just had my consultation with my florist.  We are doing all Red and White Roses with hypericum berries.  We are getting My bouquet, 7 bridesmaids bouquets, 14 bouts, 6 corsages, flowergirl basket and corsage, and 3 larger bouquets for the alter for $1300.  That was with a 25% discount.  Without that it would have been close to $1700.  Yes, we have a LARGE wedding party!

Post # 16
    1576 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

@sheepandbear:  “ I guess she could have taken that to mean she could use whatever she wanted regardless of price.”

This may be very true.

I’d say if you’re going for a nice bouquet, even in a major city, you should be able to get a bridal for $200 and maids for $75. So you’re just a hair above average on your bouquet. See if you can talk her price down just a bit without sacrificing your vision. It’s definitely worth having the conversation.

For me – this style of bouquet was not worth it. You can definitely go way cheaper (my bridal bouquet is $90) but you kinda have to throw your vision out the window and say “What can you make me for less than $100?” This strategy is not for everyone. 🙂 I think you should keep the florist you found because you like her so much. That bouquet is gonna be in all your pictures so you better love it!

The topic ‘Is $450 over priced for 3 bouquets and a cake topper from the florist?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors