(Closed) is $475 too much for alterations???

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
6745 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

I would say that’s a rip off if ALL you’re doing is the hem. 

To compare, my friend is getting her dress from the Macy’s Bridal Salon and they charge $150 for the hem. 

Post # 4
928 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

WAY too much for a hem. Go somewhere else. If you were doing a lot more than that, then it might be fair. But it’s way too much for a hem.

Post # 5
3078 posts
Sugar bee

Yeah, that’s a total rip off.  Even if you add the cups it’s a rip off.  Take it somewhere else

Post # 7
3772 posts
Honey bee

for just a hem.. yea that’s a bit much. 

Post # 8
1473 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

That’s a ridiculous amount. I got my dress hemmed with the bustle and I bought cups from the salon and had them sewn in for $234.

Post # 9
2697 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Thats absolutely crazy

Post # 11
8163 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

My dress was $150 to hem and she said that was more than normal because it had a 3 layered skirt. I wouldn’t pay that much just for a hem.

Post # 12
6745 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

@futuremrspaulino:  are you not getting it taken in at all?

the only way that would be worth it is if you’re changing the bust, taking it in, getting it hemmed, doing a bustle, and adding cups.  then, it’s worth it.  if you’re not doing all that, that’s really high. 

i also don’t know just how “responsible” they are for damages.  i once bought a dress and they hemmed the dress too short in the back (for prom) and the only thing they offered was to give me a new pair of shoes w/ a lower heel for free.  they wouldn’t order me a new dress (not sure there was enough time for a new one anyway to be ordered, but still – they should have and they should have rushed it, imo).. so yea, not sure how bridal salons work..

Post # 13
640 posts
Busy bee

OMG! That is way too much!!!!!! I got my corset put in for only 110 and that is much more labor intensive for what i have been told. 

Post # 14
2965 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

That is WAY too much for a hem. I’m paying $185 for my dress to be hemmed and bustled.

Post # 16
197 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

Hi! I think that’s too high.

My alteration cost is $435, and that’s including the hem($200), cups($30), bustle($75), darts($65), and taking a little in at the waist($65).

We have the same dress so it should be similar right? 

The topic ‘is $475 too much for alterations???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors