Is $800 wedding photographer too cheap?

posted 3 years ago in Dallas
Post # 3
4072 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

$800 is extremely low. I would either assume the photographer is just starting out or they aren’t very good.

Most professionals are going to be in the $1800-$3000 range on the lower end, depending on time and area.

Post # 4
2787 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@farmlove84:  Pricing is SO dependent on your area.  I’m getting married in a small town and it is running me a grand less for a good photog than it would be if I was getting married in the city that I live in.

I wouldn’t judge by price.  I would ask for a portfolio, and for recomendations from former clients. 

Post # 5
105 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Like all the other bees have stated, it just depends on your area. I live outside of Atlanta, and photography is insane, however I found an AWESOME deal.

$1400.00 for photography/videography including engagement shoot and their photos/videos are just beautiful. They can easily charge over $2,000.00.

I would say do some extensive research and compare. If I didn’t, I am sure I would be paying an outrageous amount of $$$$.

Post # 6
523 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

My photographer and most photographers I know off charge 1300-1500 on the lower end of their packages. My package is $1300 for 6 hours but I’m getting charged $890 on my day because my wedding will be early on a Thursday.

Post # 7
1208 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2004

I always say: you get what you pay for.  I think the quality may not be up to par with your standards.  Remember, you only get one chance to capture your wedding day.  I regret going with my parents friend…

Post # 9
9525 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

It depends on a lot of factors, but it is possible! I searched a lot for reasonably priced photogs and ended up getting my pro photographer for $800 (plus $70 in tax) after factoring in a couple discounts that she gave me. I got about 9 hours of coverage on wedding day and digital copies of the photos with rights to print myself. I didn’t get e-pictures and will do an album myself. I was a little worried going in because so many people here on the bee say you can’t get a good pro for that price, but she was great and it turned out really well.

Post # 10
567 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@farmlove84:  That seems really low and a lot of the times you may be sacrificing reliability or quality. My package consisted of a engagement shoot, 4 hours of wedding day coverage and editing for $1200.

Post # 11
1893 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Dallas, TX

I see you posted this in the Dallas section. Are you referring to Dallas photographers? I live in Dallas and finding a talented photographer with a second shooter for less than 3k has been difficult. I would be skeptical of 800.

Post # 12
795 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Hmmm. I’m paying $800 for 3.5 hours of photography in Dallas. I get all of my images and rights … I’d think you’d be hard pressed to find 8 hours of coverage for anything less than $1800. 

Post # 14
3514 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@farmlove84:  A lot of people may tell you it’s low because the person isn’t that good or whatever. My photogrpaher is charging me 825 and is a great photographer!! Go by their work not their price

Post # 16
8518 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2014

My photographer is charging me $910 for 6 hours, and I think she’s pretty fantastic. But I would judge a photographer more on their pictures than their price. Have you seen their work?

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors