(Closed) Is a 7:30 start time too late for a reception?

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
2462 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

our ceremony started at 7:30, which meant cocktail hour w/ hors doervres started around 8:30ish, and dinner was served at 9:30 (our reception site was a 4 block walk away). it was late, yes, but totally, totally fine! the guests all knew it was starting late, and we wrote on our website and welcome letters to out of town guests that they should eat a late lunch or afternoon snack 😉

Post # 4
115 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I sure as heck hope 7:30 isn’t to late, because mine is at 8:00 on a Friday night 🙂 … I think you will be fine. If most people know they are going to a later wedding they will snack a bit before they go anyway…Thats what I have always done. The candel light dinner should be awesome!

Post # 5
1166 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I agree with @finnaroo – your guests will expect that dinner will be served late, and will eat accordingly earlier in the day. If it works for you, go with it!

Post # 6
2742 posts
Sugar bee

Mine’s at 8. On a Sunday no less, albeit a holiday weekend. I don’t think it’s a problem. The times will be on the invite so they should eat accordingly.

Post # 7
1077 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@finnaroo:  That’s my same itinerary.  Everyone has been warned to eat a pre-meal if they are early eaters and train up for the late night a few in advance.  I think they’re taking it seriously too.

Post # 9
431 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

My cocktail hour will be starting at 7pm and dinner will start around 9-930pm. I decided to have it later because we have small wedding and most guests are very close family and the reception place is an hour away , so thought to give extra time between ceremony and reception and more sunny time (hopefully) for us to take pictures.

Post # 10
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

i’m sure it will be fine.  My reception will be starting at 7:30pm as well.  I have always dreamed of having a nice evening wedding and I think that as long as people know in advance they will be fine. 

And if you are like my fiance’ and I, on the weekends when we go to dinner it is always after 7:00pm Smile.

Post # 12
5494 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2011

I think that’s totally fine. That’s when our reception is starting as well.  I think we baby our guests too much.  They are all adults.  I’m sure they are capable of seeing what time the reception starts and planning their meals accordingly for the day so no one is starving.

Post # 13
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I guess I’m in the minority.  I’d assume that I should eat dinner BEFORE the reception if I was invited to a late reception.

Post # 15
687 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think during the summer that is totally fine b/c people are usually on a little different schedule and used to eating later (at least that’s what it’s like around here).

We’re date twins (YAY!) and I’m planning a 6pm ceremony so our reception will start around 7:00/7:30 as well. 

The topic ‘Is a 7:30 start time too late for a reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors