- 6 years ago
- Wedding: March 2012
I just got engaged a week ago and am trying to plan a wedding date so I can do all other planning – here’s the rub:
1. I don’t want a long engagement – 34 going on 35, want to start trying for a baby soonest, want to wait until after the wedding.
2. We will be about 200+ people in NYC. Read as not cheap and due to my family (which doesn’t bother me) the “budget” options are a no go. Mom and Dad are contributing a hefty chunk toward the venue/catering fee, so I do not “blame” them for making me have “their choice” of wedding, and am kinda looking forward to it. It will not break the bank (if I do it in Feb/March), and I’m ok with it.
3. I am limited as to when the wedding can be. Due to Jewish observance, April and May are out. June starts the crazy summer wedding season with costs GREATLY inflated, so that it would make the cost start to become uncomfortable but still doable. FIANCE’s mom’s cousin’s daughter (are you following?) is getting married in Miami at the end of March. I want to do February/early March for the following reasons:
– MUCH cheaper than the summer.
– I can afford Saturday night (which is one thing I really would prefer)
– according to Jewish observance, I can start my wedding 90 minutes after sunset and have a beautiful evening. Otherwise I will have to do a Sunday afternoon in the early summer, which I would REALLY prefer not to do.
Is this rude? Her wedding has been scheduled for a while. My future in laws aren’t even going, weren’t planning on it, but there will be some family members who do go.
Please weigh in, I don’t want to offend my new family to be before I even get married!
Just to clarify:
1. She lives and will be married in Miami. I live and will be married in NY. So the only overlapping guests (his mom’s family, maybe 25 people total) that would be travelling to my wedding are her family and a cousin or two from Californai. I don’t know how many NY family members will be travelling to Miami. Fiance’s parents, sister and he are not.
2. Haven’t heard anything about showers, etc. so don’t know when they are. Certainly don’t expect people to travel for those.