Is anyone else newly engaged and planning a May 2014 wedding?

posted 3 years ago in May 2014
Post # 3
83 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I’m getting married in May 2014, but got engaged in April 2013, so I realize I’m not exactly who you’re looking for. But my advice? Make your guest list and book your venue as soon as you can. Those 2 things should be your top priority because venues can book up months in advance. And the size of your guest list will determine the venue you pick. Once you have a venue, everything else will fall into place, I promise! Good luck!

Post # 4
2878 posts
Sugar bee

We got engaged 11 months out from our wedding date, and we had 3 venues, 3 photographers, and 2 DJs tell us they were booked for our day.  It was a nightmare and I ended up crying for a good 4 hours.  We also had our rehersal dinner space tell us at 10 months that we booked their last room for that night. 

This isn’t to discourage you, but this is to tell you, START BOOKING, and book everything, and get those deposits down.  We had trouble at 11 months, you will have trouble at 6.  Unfortunatly, May is a BIG wedding month (second maybe to June and now September) 

Post # 5
1137 posts
Bumble bee

@Miss.PeanutButter:  It can be done. At least I hope so lol! I’ve been engaged for a (sort of) long time, but I haven’t done ANYTHING. The only thing I have is the venue and the groom, the 2 more important things, in that order (LOL JK).

I have no dress, decor, anything. SOOO I hope it can be done lol.

Post # 6
496 posts
Helper bee

If I get engaged anytime soon, I want to be married in May. So we will probably have way less than 6 months. Then again, I am trying to have a small destination wedding and don’t expect many people to attend.

Post # 7
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

We decided to get married on May 11th 2013 on November 30th, 2012!

So we planned and booked EVERYTHING in December and January! And had NO problems finding vendors or anything.

Post # 9
4468 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Miss.PeanutButter:  One of my gfs got engaged last Friday and is planning an April 2014 wedding!! I’m trying to help her with stuff, but I don’t live close to her. She’s currently trying to find a venue- nothing booked yet!

Post # 11
9 posts
Newbee

@Miss.PeanutButter:  my dates are similar to yours, we’ve been together for 8 years and got engaged in 14rh of november and getting married in may 2014….so i just realized i need to get started

Post # 12
Hostess
9908 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@Miss.PeanutButter:  I got engaged in March 2013 and marrying in May 2014 BUT I have friends who were also engaged in March 2013 and got married in October 2013 so that was about 6 months.

Guest List, Venue, Dress – those are your top 3 things to get done.  Dress, if you’re planning on ordering, should be done ASAP.  Everything else you’re fine 🙂

Post # 13
744 posts
Busy bee

I got engaged on November 29 and we are getting married may 24!

We are having a 40 guest wedding in Las Vegas so I think mine is much easier to plan but so far I’ve had good luck with my dress, mob dress, stds, venue and reception booked. 

Post # 14
371 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014 - Beach

@Miss.PeanutButter:  date twin 🙂 we are also getting married may 30th and we didnt start to plan anything lol so you’re not that far behind i only got the venue booked and will start looking at some dresses this week 😀 good luckk

Post # 15
1768 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Good luck and start booking! We got engaged June 2012 and we initially wanted a May or June 2013 wedding (those were the only months we could take time off work). We could not find a single venue or photographer that fit our standards and was available for a Friday or Saturday in either month. Not a single one  Now, if we compromised…a lot… (Think fire hall reception when we’re more “urban loft”), then we could have done it, but that just wasn’t what we were looking for. We ended up doing a two year engagement and are getting married June 2014, and we still had problems booking vendors 20 months in advance!

Post # 16
58 posts
Worker bee

We got engaged on July 12, 2013 and are getting married May 17, 2014! Everyone told us that was ‘so fast’ but I really don’t feel like it is and everything has gone pretty smoothly so far. 

My suggestions: 

1) Make a month-by-month timeline. Sit down and brainstorm in writing absolutely everything you will need to do and buy, start to finish. I’m talking get a visual in your head of how you want everything to look and be down to the little details. Then decide what you need to buy, do, and finalize for each month leading up to your wedding and get that all written out too. Spreadsheets work nice! I have found that when I think of everything I have to do all at once I start getting stressed out, but having it broken down by month makes it so I don’t feel overwhelmed since I’m meeting the goals I’ve set for myself.

2) Book the big things ASAP. I see this is already being discussed in this thread, but I concur that things can get booked up quickly so you will want to book things like photographer, venue, cake, etc as soon as you can! Be realistic with yourself that you may not get exactly what you want due to your timeline, but that’s okay! The important thing is that you are marrying the love of your life and you’re doing it soon! 🙂 It will be a beautiful wedding regardless of whether you get your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice for things! 

3) Don’t get caught up in the little things. Realize that this is one day out of your life and while we all would love for it to go perfectly, there are things that just won’t be perfect and will go wrong, no matter how hard you try. And you will be the only one who will notice! For example, I am buying most of my decorations used, which means they might have a few flaws in them here and there, but I am saving tons of money AND I didn’t have to waste time searching in stores (I bought online locally).

4) Accept help. I’m the type who does everything myself usually and, truthfully, I need to take my own advice on this one! But if you can ask your fiance or your mom or your bridesmaids (or whoever!) to take on some tasks, that will take some of the load off your shoulders. You can always be the one to sign off on it in the end. And, in accordance with point 2) above, things don’t have to be ‘perfect’! 

5) Relax, breathe, and have fun!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors