Is it feasible to do all of this for under 10,000?

posted 3 years ago in Money
  • poll: Is $10,000 feasible?
    You should try to find another venue so that you can spend more on other things : (23 votes)
    48 %
    That's doable, you will be fine : (24 votes)
    50 %
    other (please explain) : (1 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 3
    975 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Banff, Alberta

Easily possible. Have you written out a budget? Wedding wire and the knot both have good wedding budgets and it will break it down for you to what is reasonable for your price.

Post # 4
    318 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I think 10,000 is pretty thin. 

The average tux is what, 2 grand? Unless you rent. 

Dress is about 1 grand. 

Photographer will probably set you back about 4-6 grand, depending on how long you want him to stay.

Hotel room, if you want a suite, will probably be at least 400-600 a night? (mine cost be 1700 a night) 

and so theres about 8 grand gone. 

Can you do the rest with 2 grand?

Post # 5
    6273 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: March 2014

@Fireflysushi:  Depends on your standards.

You could get a $500 dress at Davids, stay in Motel 6, get a photog who is just starting out from Craigslist, get your groom’s tux free with groomsmen, have him wear shoes he owns, do nonfloral/Sams Club simple centerpieces, invitations from vistaprint, etc.

If you’re thinking about a couture dress, candy bar, and tall floral centerpieces for 15 tables, you are probably out of your mind 😀 But if you’re willing to be very diligent about bargain hunting, it technically *could* be done.

Post # 6
    845 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@Fireflysushi:  It does sound do-able, especially since many people through their ENITRE wedding for under 10k. So it really depends on where you live, what you expect/your taste, where you are williing to cut corners and what you can do on your own or with help from friends and family. 

Post # 7
    7070 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

I think this will be completely dependent on how high your standards are and where you live.

Post # 9
    8720 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

I think it can be done easily. If I only had $10k I wouldnt buy a tux. I would rent it. A hotel can be easy. Your dress depends on what you want but you can easily get that also. Centerpieces you can get for under $2k even from a florist (I did!) and a photographer can be under $5k and I’m speaking from the NJ/NYC area.

Post # 10
    Hostess
    8680 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

Totally doable but you would have to budget.. that means you probably couldn’t get a 3,000 dress and stuff.

Post # 11
    Hostess
    7630 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: January 2013

I think I’ve heard that the venue is supposed to be about 50% of your budget. That’s not to say it’s not possible though. You just have to break down your budget and see where you’d like to spend. 

Post # 12
    975 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Banff, Alberta

@Fireflysushi:  A lot of things tend to pop up the more you research and plan. Still, as long as the vendors aren’t super pricey that shouldn’t be a problem. My budget is $5000, lots of DIY, bargain hunting and deciding what is important and what isn’t. 

Post # 13
    2630 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@Fireflysushi:  It’s a great idea to be proactive about the inetivable last minute costs. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend setting aside $500-$1000 in your budget for that reason. I don’t think you need to keep it set aside forever, but as you put your budget categories together, you’re bound to realize a few odds and ends here and there that add up. Good luck!

Post # 14
    1110 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

Well, that’s our whole budget haha.  So yes, depending obviously where you live, it’s very reasonable.  I found my designer wedding dress, brand new, for $500 (retails for $1100).  We went to a bridal show and got 50% off a new suit purchase for FI, so instead of $500, it’ll be $250, etc. 

If you shop around for deals and some DIY projects, I think you should have no problem.

Post # 15
    1500 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

Depends on what you’re expecting and also where you’re living. For example, if cost of living is very high around you, your vendors will also have to charge higher prices in order to make an income. 

Post # 16
    394 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

@menzies:  woah, I don’t think those are necessarily typical figures! 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors