Is it normal that I'm drinking wine alone on Friday at 11:00 am?

posted 3 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
9856 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

@chicagoworkinggirl:  meh, if you want a glass of wine, have a glass of wine.  as long as you’re not guzzling a couple bottles a day just to make it through I think you’re okay 🙂

Post # 4
1896 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@chicagoworkinggirl:  I think you’re fine for now! It’s a holiday weekend and you are enjoying yourself.  Next weekend though, you’re not allowed. Innocent

Post # 5
6948 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2015

@chicagoworkinggirl:  It’s the day after Thanksgiving. Wine & pie are the traditional breakfast in my house. 😛

Post # 6
1963 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

I think its fine.  I usually have my wine late morning/early afternoon on the Saturdays or Sundays, but since it’s Black Friday, and I’m off from work why not?

Post # 7
10452 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2011

@chicagoworkinggirl:  I think the important thing is that it’s not a normal thing for you to do 🙂

If it became a daily or weekly occurance, that would be a cause for concern.

Post # 8
1229 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012 - Chateau Briand

Before pregnancy I used to open up a bottle of wine or champagne just for fun, on a random day to unwind. As long as it’s not an everyday habit and you really are enjoying it (not just drinking it to get messed up and cope with life) I think you’re doing alright 🙂

Post # 9
1180 posts
Bumble bee

Nope. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I may join you shortly.

Post # 10
3623 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@chicagoworkinggirl:  Yes people do it. I have been known to do it, but I generally don’t drink before 4. Except for mimosas or marathons. After 26.2 miles I will down wine at any hour (but about 4 sips in I fall asleep 🙂 )Whether or not it is a problem/judgable depends on a few things.

Do you have work? Not cool if you have work. (Although I write way better with wine– my boss tells me to go write from the bar) Fine if you have the day off.

Do you have kids? If you are in charge of little ones, not cool. If you are off duty or child free, it is fine.

Will you go out tonight? If you get buzzed during the day, but stay home at night, I find it fine. Getting buzzed in the morning then going out again at night (or getting buzzed again at night) is more problematic. It is a holiday weekend, so this is more of an “in general” than what are you doing tonight.

Are you supposed to be productive right now? If you have worked out, gotten all of your chores done, and are chilling on the couch, it is totally cool. If you are getting buzzed to avoid going to the gym, but the wine down, go for a run, then enjoy guilt free :-).

Post # 11
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Meh, not a problem, as they say “It is 5 o’clock somewhere”

The other Bees have pointed out the facts… if you are a US Bee this is a long weekend… and many people will on the weekend have a glass of wine & a bite to eat say after 11 AM (early lunch) on such an occasion.

So I think you are totally fine…

And welcome to the world of wine… so much to learn & enjoy.  Mr TTR is a wine nut.  He hopes to be a Sommelier after he retires.  If you haven’t you should look at going to a Professionally Hosted Wine Tasting Event … or maybe take a Wine Appreciation Class.  Lots to learn.

So if I might ask… What type of wine are you drinking?

— — —

All that said, I was married to a very serious Alcoholic for over 20 Years… and one of the first things they tell you in AA / Al-Anon is “IF you are asking Questions about your consumption… then you probably have issues with your consumption”

Not that I think you do.  BUT if 11 AM Wine Drinking becomes a regular thing… then ya, you might want to reevaluate.

Hope this helps,

Post # 12
2878 posts
Sugar bee

@chicagoworkinggirl:  I rarely drink alcohol this early in the day (unless maybe if I’m offered a mimosa). But drinking wine alone by myself, I do quite often ! Wine is a pleasure, and it relaxes me, I might drink in front of the TV watching a show or movie I like, or FI is not there for dinner and I’m eating cheeses and crackers, it’s always better with red wine. 🙂

Post # 14
1499 posts
Bumble bee

Enjoy it! Life is too short to worry about a glass of wine 😉

Post # 15
2394 posts
Buzzing bee

Well, there’s normal and then there’s normal. 

If you’re having a glass at noon, an hour before you go in to work for a 1 p.m. shift, then I’d say that might be a concern.

If it’s your day off work and you want to relax while watching chick flicks all afternoon, go for it.

Plus, it’s the holidays! And you’ve just recently discovered the joys of wine! Cheers, dear! (clink clink) 

I rarely drink before 3 or 4 p.m. because once I’ve had a glass of wine, I know I’m not going to get anything done the rest of the day. But when I was single and living alone in my single girl apartment, yeah… I had many many happy hours solo and never felt an ounce of guilt about it.

Because as George Thorogood says, “You know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself.”

Post # 16
4827 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY

OP, you are my Friday hero. YES. Awesome. I can’t stop thinking about happy hour at 5:00. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors