(Closed) Is it possible to have a $2K wedding for 120 people?!

posted 5 years ago in Money
  • poll: What would you do with your $2K budget?
    Cut corners on the wedding and settle for less than classy : (15 votes)
    11 %
    go to the Justice of the Peace and have a Vow renewal when you could afford it. : (21 votes)
    16 %
    Have an intimate ceremony and use the rest of the money to got on a honeymoon. : (91 votes)
    67 %
    none of the above (let me know your suggestions!) : (8 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    3472 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

I think the intimate wedding would be more meaningful in the long run than waiting for the big elaborate one down the road.  

Post # 4
    8042 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

I’d keep it small and classy. Only invite the people you really want there. In the end no one really remembers all the wedding details. We’re splurging on the ring and honeymoon… the wedding itself (well we’re eloping so just us 2) is just a small part of it.

Post # 5
    247 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I live right near you so I know how expensive it can be and I know how hard it is to count on the weather otherwise I would suggest outdoors! I would go for the honeymoon… throw a party when you have more money

Post # 6
    1676 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I’d go for the intimate wedding. Classier and far more memorable. My cousin just did it. They had 25 people in the conference room of a fancy hotel, and then they had punch and cupcakes. Everyone went out for dinner afterwards at a steakhouse and guests paid for their own dinners in lieu of a wedding gift (about $50 a person). It was lovely and I actually got to greet the bride and groom.

Post # 7
    5969 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2018

Time to choose between quality and quantity.

Post # 8
    1750 posts
    Buzzing bee

@KTGoots:  Personally, I would do a beautiful ceremony and a cake/punch reception. You can still celebrate in a beautful way and not cut corners. Have the wedding, have your first dance, play music with an ipod, have people say remarks, serve cake, punch and champagne if you can squeeze it into the budget. A beautiful display of fruit with a chocolate fountain would be cute too. I think it could be done for 2k and look classy.

Post # 9
    1477 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

One of my best friends was on a super tight budget and had a potluck wedding. No one cared, we were just so happy that they were getting married! Maybe that can be an option.

Post # 10
    677 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

My sister had a small intimate destination wedding with about 20 people in florida, and later when she came home they had a big party with the family to celebrate but it wasnt really a reception and everyone who wanted to go out drinking and dancing went out on the town with her that night.

My brother and SIL had a wonderful wedding that was also budget, they had the ceremony at our local church and the reception at the VFW, but while it doesnt sound classy it was fall and beautifully decorated by gourds, pumpkins, leaves, candles etc. A wonderful local restaurant catered with a buffet that was honestly the most delicous food I have ever had at a wedding. We all had a blast.

So you can choose between a fancy tiny wedding with a party later or a big wedding without the fancy venues. The third option is to forget about serving dinner and have a cake and punch reception or even a backyard potluck (which is actually a ton of fun, but a lot more casual than some brides want.)

Post # 11
    6124 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

@KTGoots:  “We live about an hour and a half from Niagara Falls.  I have looked online at some of the wedding packages they offer, and we could have a small ceremony for around $300ish.  This way family and bridal party could still come, but we wouldn’t have a reception.

You’d still have to receive your guests somehow, even if it’s dinner or lunch at a restaurant together.  It doesnt have to be a typical reception, but you have to do something – even cake and punch at the park.

Post # 12
    3583 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

@sienna76:  Not necessarily. There are no hard and fast rules.

OP, I voted intimate and honeymoon.  As a bride who is still waiting for her honeymoon…..believe me, you’ll want one!  Save your moot!

Post # 14
    2693 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

You would have to make a lot of comrpomises but you can: sef catrered food, no pro photographer, Ipod reception, cheap venue (like a park with a community hall), use your own trasnportaion, etc.

My friend (and bm) had about 300 people at her wedding 10 years ago for about $2000.  It was a simple Catholic church wedding and then held at the church hall. Family members cooked.  A cousin took pics.  Her cousin made her dress.  It was a beautiful day (from the loo of it).  And she was happy.

Post # 15
    3265 posts
    Sugar bee

You do have to host your guests in some way.  But there is nothing wrong with a cake and punch reception if that is what you can afford.

I think also the further you make people travel then the more you have to do for them.  If someone has to drive over 45 mins, I think you should provide more then a slice of cake and 1 hour reception.  But if it’s local then here’s your cake.

I would discourage you from something like a potluck, which is not hosting, but foisting the cost of the event off on your guests.  Host what you can afford, or slash your guest list.

The topic ‘Is it possible to have a $2K wedding for 120 people?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors