Is it possible to have a £3,000 wedding?

posted 4 years ago in United Kingdom
  • poll: £3,000 budget...can it be done?
    Yes : (31 votes)
    94 %
    No : (2 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 3
    852 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

@Soon2BD-CBee:  Hi, a friend of mine got married last December her total budget was £4000 that included registry office, reception with sit down meal for 25 ish people and a buffet for more in the evening at a local pub. She also bought two dresses, a fair priced internet one….and then a very expensive boutique one she fell in love with. They didnt have a honeymoon. But if you took out the cost of her second expensive dress then her budget would have been close to yours.

I’d say keep the numbers down, those multiples really up the cost, and keep it simple. Do some DIY. Have a look round for budget hotel and maybe local pubs who dont ‘do’ weddings but have a function room and do food who maybe able to help you out. Also flowers are really expensive, I’d consider avoiding them. My friend had ‘wands’ for her tiny bridesmaids and for her self had a wrist corsarge rather than a large boquet. At the reception she had pine cones (collected for free and painted) and other bits as table decorations rather than real flowers. We all had a fantastic day at her wedding, nothing else was needed.

Lastly, think about all your friends, do you know anyone who bakes cakes, makes clothes, does flower arranging. Call in any favours you can, that kind of help is amazing, and I’ve found that people really want to be involved and help when they can. This will be especially true if they can see you are marrying for all the right reasons and that you just dont have the money to put on a big wedding.

Post # 4
    419 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

I fully intend on keeping my wedding around this cost. We are using one of our churches for the venue, so that will be free, and I am strongly considering printing my wedding invitations for free at partypop.com and then sprucing them up with some DIY. We are limiting the wedding to 100 guests, and I am wearing my mother’s gown if I can get my size 14 rear into it, and her veil. I’m wearing jewelry I already own, splurging on the shoes. We are having a morning wedding and a brunch reception so that the food will be cheaper, and no alcohol will be served. Definitely no live music, may splurge on a DJ. I anticipate my biggest expenses being the reception venue and the cake.

Post # 7
    7664 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

The answer is yes, but with a small budget then you need to subtract all of the things you must pay for from the total, and treat the remainder as your budget, if that makes sense.

For example, you must have marriage licenses (£70). Also, the registrar fee varies from location to location. Ours will cost £60 (plus all the costs associated with getting married in a church… remember that having two venues costs you much more than a civil ceremony and an on site reception). However, my cousin’s registrar fee was £450, because he was married miles away from the registry office. So before you do anything, decide on whether you want a civil partnership or a religious service, and subtract the legal costs and religious costs (if appropriate) from your budget. You can then work from what you have left.

Post # 8
    msjackrabbitMember
    1080 posts
    Bumble bee

weddingchicks have some gorgeous DIY printable invitations

http://static.weddingchicks.com/freebies/invitation-suites/

PM me your email address and tomorrow (I don’t have it on this PC unfortauntely!) I can send you my budget cashflow spreadsheet.

How many people do you think you’ll have? If you have a lot you’ll probably want the function room with a DJ, but if you only want 25-ish you could maybe have the reception at a restaurant? that would keep costs down.

I love this website for their budget weddings

http://whimsicalwonderlandweddings.com/category/realweddings/budget-wedding

Oooh and if you don’t want a DJ, what about an iPod??

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/ipod-wedding-our-awesome-playlist#axzz2VnfP7m7s

My friend had a budget wedding and she didn’t have bridesmaids, just flower girls. They didn’t have flowers because they didn’t need them! She saved a lot of money on their outfits, too, since they were just kids! Think she got their outfits from BHS too 🙂

Post # 10
    Hostess
    3426 posts
    Sugar bee

@Soon2BD-CBee:  

Holiday Inn do the whole wedding package for £999 I think (if they’re still doing it) so I think it’s doable.  It includes a hot buffet for 80 people!

I think it’s doable!

Post # 12
    7664 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

Whoops! Just re-read my last post! I don’t mean “civil partnership”, I mean “secular ceremony”! Serious brain fart! I don’t know what’s wrong with me today.

Post # 15
    7664 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

@Soon2BD-CBee:  Aw, thanks! If I can help or offer advice, I will!

Post # 16
    190 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

We did my mum’s wedding for around £3000 last year, for 20-25 guests.

Try looking at a weekday wedding or Sunday if you can as that lowers the cost a lot. Skip canapes, have Pimms or Bucks Fizz instead of champagne, maybe do a hot buffet style dinner instead of sit down? My mum actually had her wedding reception at home and we put a lot into decorating it. We made all of the food ourselves, bought wine/prosecco/beer in bulk when the offers were on and booked a basic DJ package for around £300.

If you need any other help feel free to PM me Smile

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors