(Closed) Is it safe to invtie 150 people when your reception venue only holds 144?

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
293 posts
Helper bee

Hm. Given the fact that you think 10 tables of 10 chairs already looks/feels tight, I would not risk it. You will definitely have no’s but the percentage varies. And it seems like you really should aim to be closer to the 100 number than the 144 number after the no’s. We have a friend who actually got nearly 100% of guests attending, so it can certainly happen. Your number of Out of Town guests impacts the percentage a lot too.

Also, make sure that when they say they can fit the additional tables.. they don’t mean “by putting them where the dance floor would be and then moving them out of the way when it’s time to dance”. I encountered this..

Post # 4
1036 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Eeek…this is a tough one. You want to have ample room to walk around between the tables. How tight was it with the 10 rounds of 10 each? If you feel there is enough room A) at the rounds to add two more chairs, and B) to add two more tables; I say go for it (you normally get 50-75% RSVP). But if you felt it was right on the money, or maybe a bit tight the way you saw it with 100 seats, you may have to whittle the list down.

Can you go back to the venue and have them show you the spacing with 12 of 12?

Post # 6
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

We invited 164 (ish, I’m trying to remember!) and ended up with 150 on the button. Count on having some No RSVPs, but since your wedding is in November, you’re not going to have a ton of people with conflicting summer plans, other weddings, etc, and especially since you said most of your guests don’t travel for Thanksgiving. We had more than we were expecting, we were hoping our magic number would end up around 130.

I’d ask your venue if they have another wedding coming up with the 12 rounds of 12 that you could pop in while they’re setting up and see it.

Post # 8
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’d be a bit nervous, since like other PPs have mentioned, there might not be many other conflicting plans so people may all come! Also, does that 144 need to include you and the bridal party and such? I had to check when they said we ‘seat x’ does that really mean x guests or is that including the head table and such in that count (because that wipes out a good # of invites for us, about 20!).

I’d definitely go check it out and see how they would set it up for 144 and if that involves moving tables for the dancing.

Post # 9
381 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

What about having a “B” list–and only sending if you get enough nos back from the first mailing?

Post # 10
1077 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Don’t forget to count yourselves.  And if you send 150, there is no room to add the people that you MUST invite but somehow forgot.  (I had a couple of those.)

Post # 11
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Does the 144 max include room for a dance floor?  Don’t sacrifice a dance floor!!!!

I’d err on the side of caution with this one… less is more.

Post # 12
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Ask for a plan of the alternate layout that includes seating for 144. That way you can see where they put those extra tables and make any adjustments.

Post # 13
52 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

We just went through the same thing…we thought we could get our guest list down to 150. False. We’re much happier now that we have a new venue and a guest list of 270. I hope yours works out!

Post # 14
1166 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

Typically, if you invite 150, you should expect no more than 125-130 to attend. But that depends on your list, of course.

One thing you might consider doing is counting up the people you absolutely, positively KNOW will come (parents, siblings, bridal party, closest friends, etc.). Of the rest, you can count on some people not coming (even if they tell you they are definitely coming – some people WILL drop out). If you have at least 20-25 people on the “maybe” list, you should be safe!

The topic ‘Is it safe to invtie 150 people when your reception venue only holds 144?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors