Is it unrealistic to start planning an October 2014 wedding in January?

posted 3 years ago in October 2014
Post # 3
2174 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Totally doable. I planned our November wedding starting in May– less than 6 months. It wasn’t stressful or hard at all, and our wedding was great!

Post # 4
1500 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I planned my wedding in 6 months! However, just be realistic that some things really book up very, very fast (venues, photographers) and if your date is a popular one, you may be competing with all the post-Christmas engaged brides for vendors

Post # 5
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I started planning our May wedding in December! So it’s definitely do-able!

Post # 7
5192 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

Totally realisic.

Honestly, if your engagement is too long it’s just more time to drive yourself crazy. If you keep it tight you will need to make decisions and move on.

I had a short engagement and I honestly wouldn’t have wanted it any longer.  It was long enough that I had time to book the big things and get them done, but short enough that I didn’t have time to 1) get sick of being engaged, or 2) make myself crazy by taking on a ton of unnessary details.  Buying a dress of the rack was also SUPER liberating.  

It did help that I’ve been stalking wedding boards for years and that I’ve done plenty of event organization.  If you are doing a short engagement and you have the feeling that you’ll be helpless at this, you might want to enlist the help of a friend or wedding planner.

Post # 8
5192 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@BrandNewBride:  me too!  Engaged Dec 10th, married May 30th!  

It’s so crazy to me to think that I haven’t even had an “engage-aversary” and I’ve alredy been married for nearly 6 months.

Post # 9
871 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@Schmashley:  Totally doable! I would just say to book your venue, caterer (if not included in the venue), and photographer pretty soon after you start planning just because October is still in the popular season for weddings. Everything else should be fine for you to take a little time!! (Unless you want like a super popular DJ or florist) 

Post # 10
1599 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@Schmashley:  we got engaged in Feb and married in Oct, but I really didn’t plan anything except the venue until about June. Totally doable, and I’m so glad we had a short engagement 

Post # 11
603 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

How popular is October in your area?  Around here, it would be fine – May, June and September are months that you would need to plan far in advance or be really flexible about your vendors and location.

Post # 12
1629 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - Church

@Schmashley:  Depends on the region you are in and what flexibility you have for date (like up where I am it may be a little more difficult to book in December but not impossible). I say this because while October is not as popular of a month as summer, you may have some difficulty because some times in October are absolutely gorgeous (leaves being bright colours, cooler, no humidity, etc.). Plus there are long weekends and plenty of Hallowe’en things that get booked. If you have particular venues in mind you might just want to email them to inquire about availability of October next year, but that doesn’t mean you have to do anything else. As long as you are slightly flexible itshould not be a problem!

Post # 13
108 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

You’ll be fine. Here are a few things to remember, though…

Make a planning checklist. Don’t freak out about the total number of items you need to complete. Just focus on what needs to be done in the next month or so. Before you know it, your planning will be done!

A smalller wedding takes just as much planning as a large one. Choosing a wedding cake flavor isn’t somehow faster or easier just because fewer people will be eating it.

Get your venues, photographer, and officiant first and as soon as you can. A DJ company may have more than one spinner, and a florist can definitely handle multiple events on the same day, but some vendors really can’t be shared. Lock ’em down early!

Post # 14
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

@Schmashley:  Congrats! I believe that you can most definitely plan a beautiful wedding within that time frame. Just know which things you need to settle first, including venue, photographer, DJ. Everything else can even wait a bit longer.

Post # 15
3693 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Doable depending on what kind of wedding you’re planning/where you’re planning it. Our venue booked up 14 months in advance and our photographer booked up around the same time.

Post # 16
Hostess
2787 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@Schmashley:  I totally had my wedding planned in 9 months flat. We got engaged September 28th and we got married June 28th.  We had no problem

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors