Is it worth $3500 more for 0.14 of a carat more [2.01 vs. 2.15 CARAT ROUNDS]?

posted 2 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Which should I get?
    2.01 carat (8mm) for $10700 : (66 votes)
    88 %
    2.15 carat (8.2mm) for $14100 : (9 votes)
    12 %
  • Post # 2
    254 posts
    Helper bee

On a diamond that large I highly doubt you will be able to notice the difference, save some money and put it towards your wedding band 

Post # 3
    570 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2016 - Charleston, SC

lilsweetie:  I’d stick with the 2ct stone! You won’t be able to tell the difference at all! Save the $3400 and put it towards something else you really want/need =)

Post # 4
    2580 posts
    Sugar bee

lilsweetie:  You won’t see that small of a difference on that large of a diamond I would save the money

Post # 5
    2763 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

No way! There’s no way you would be able to tell. Save the money & get a fabulous wedding band instead…or 2!

Post # 6
    6893 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

I would to know if size is the only thing factoring into the cost difference. For example, there are some SI2s that have very  visible inclusions and others that might be eye clean. 

In this case it looks like the larger diamond faces up  larger for its size, relatively speaking,  than the smaller one does.  It is also has only mild flourescence as opposed to strong. 

Post # 7
    1181 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2015

When I was researching diamonds, I found out that the prices go up exponentially for larger sizes. That is because the bigger it gets, the rarer it is. That’s why one big rock is more expensive than a lot of little ones when the total carat weight, and the other C’s, of each ring is about the same. Made me go hmm. Stick with the smaller one and save your money. That little of a difference isn’t worth it.

Post # 8
    3375 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 1997

Take a look at both stones. The slightly smaller one may have an inclusion that is visisble when set, while the larger one does not. SI2 does not necessarily translate into “eye-clean”. Are both certified by the same place(GIA or AGS)? While .2 mm IS a visible difference, it is not a big difference, and if all other things are equal it likely is not worth the premium. However, I have a feeling that all other things are not equal.

Post # 9
    2052 posts
    Buzzing bee

Looking at the photos on the link, the larger one looks more eye clean to me, which would explain the increased cost.

I’d probably get the second because of that, not because it was slightly larger

Post # 10
    18 posts
    Newbee

One thing I would take into consideration is in the event that you accidentally damage your diamond or hit it on something. If that was to happen and the carat weight dropped below 2 there would be a big price difference – it happened to a friend of mine who wanted to upgrade her diamond! I don’t think you need to go up .15 but I would maybe look for a 2.03+ diamond. 

Post # 11
    329 posts
    Helper bee

I don’t think the size will be much of a difference, but looking at the links the larger stone is far nicer and eye clean. I think with the smaller diamond you would have noticeable inclusions even when set. Personally, I would go down in carat size to get a better clarity – but if you want the 2ct then pay the extra to get a decent stone. 

Post # 12
    8604 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

Go with the 2 carat. It’s not worth the extra money for .15 carat that won’t be noticeably larger. 

Post # 13
    6510 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2013

I saw a few PP already noted that your can see inclusions in the smaller stone. Will that bug you?

Also, how do you feel about fluoresence? Looks like the smaller one has a strong blue fluorescence. 

Post # 14
    1081 posts
    Bumble bee

Kelly6871:  Agreed.

If I had to choose, I would go with the larger stone and pay the extra money because it appears to be eye clean. I second that it’s better to go with a smaller size and get a stone with better clarity. 

Post # 15
    957 posts
    Busy bee

I think it’s also the cut. Keep in mind that even if they’re both ideal cut, one can be significantly better, and in this case, the bigger one seem to have a better cut by the way the arrows looks and also eye clean. So it’s really not just because of the specs. 

You might want to check out this video.

http://youtu.be/cp94DI3xTA0 In this video, he compared 2 triple excellent cut diamonds, but you can still see a huge difference.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Mrs.DK.
    Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors