Is putting a $600 Dyson on the registry tacky as all hell?

posted 3 years ago in Gifts and Registries
  • poll: Is putting a Dyson on your registry obnoxious?
    YES! : (44 votes)
    20 %
    NOPE! : (173 votes)
    80 %
  • Post # 3
    4072 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

I think having one or two big items on the registry is fine. A dozen or so? That’s asking a bit much! You should be in the clear. I wouldn’t think anything of it.

Post # 4
    4223 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

It was on ours. A bunch of people chipped in for it. I didn’t want to because of how expensive it was, but the family was like “No, that’s so practical! Better that than a bunch of doilies and crap”. Everyone spent the same as they were going to in the first place. They just went in on it. If people don’t want to spend that much or chip in, they don’t have to. Plus a lot of people know you get discounts on things on your registry after. 

I got it, and I damn well love my dyson. 

Post # 5
    2720 posts
    Sugar bee

Nope! I consider a registry a wish list more than anything. Put whatever you want on it.

Post # 6
    8282 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2012

I voted nope. You may have a large family that can all chip in to get it for you. 

Post # 7
    2782 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I’m putting a Dyson on our registry.  While I am doubting anyone will buy it, we get 10% off after the wedding is over- and why wouldn’t I want to save 10% on such an expensive item?!

Post # 8
    4834 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

I put a $500 Dyson and someone bought it on sale for $299. I didn’t feel guilty!

Post # 9
    1007 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

No big deal, I would just assume that you wanted the discount! 

Post # 10
    5 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2013

@skippydarling:  I’ve just put one on our registry.  I don’t expect one person to fork out for it, but thought a few people might like to chip in together.  If not then at least we will get the discount at the end and purchase it for ourselves.  I don’t think it’s tacky, most people would understand. 

Post # 11
    11668 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I don’t think so but I guess it depends on your guests. We had one and it was purchased. 

Post # 12
    9533 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

So long as you have lots of cheaper options, it’s totally fine to have some expensive ones as well!!!!

Post # 13
    497 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

I think it’s cool. If you have a group of people that know each other (sorority sisters, family, coworkers), they may pool their funds together and get big ticket items. I don’t think it’s tacky at all. Plus, when your registry is over, most online merchants will give you a discount to complete the rest of the items on your list.

Post # 14
    1194 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

Nope. I have a Roomba-type vacuum on ours that’s a little over $400. I’ve always wanted one because I absolutely abhor vacuuming and this is my chance to get it without having to buy it. The only other item over $200 is my pots and pans set, but that’s really 14 things in one. I don’t even think we have anything else over $100, now that I think about it.

Post # 15
    320 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I didn’t think we’d get our Dyson but my MIL got it for us! I think that it’s appropriate to put it on the registry… it’s a vacuum, it’s not like you’re registering for jewelry! 🙂

Post # 16
    11 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2013

We put a Dyson on ours, as well as a few other big-ticket items. I have several family members who would have no problem buying one of the more expensive items and we really viewed this as a wish list. If we don’t get it, no big deal! So, no, I don’t think it’s tacky at all!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors