Is someone pulling my leg? "£100,000 engagement ring"

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
7090 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I think that could easily be 2 carats depending on her ring size.

Post # 4
1633 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

No way that cost 100,000 euros… that’s crazy.  Maybe it was a typo and it was 10,000 euros??

Post # 5
1788 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I agree, OP. It looks like probably a .75 on a size 5ish or 1 carat on a size 7-8ish to me. I do wonder where they could have possibly gotten that figure…

Post # 6
6407 posts
Bee Keeper

I think it is larger than your estimate. Do you know her finger size? Have you seen photos where you can see that her hands are proportionately small?

Once you have a more accurate size (which seems to me more like 1 carat, or even larger if she has larger hands) Blue Nile would be a conservative price for several reasons:

-Not including the cost of the setting

-Not considering the markup of a big brand name

-Blue Nile diamonds are often the diamonds not selected by jewelers, so more affordable

-Not considering that it may be a specialty cut diamond (e.g. Solasfera)

I think such a ring could go up to $50k. Not to $150k though… that would surprise me.

Post # 8
917 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I don’t know about 100,000 pounds, but at the Cartier store we visited they showed us a 1 carat, flawless solitaire that retailed for $47,000 (USD). So, it’s possible…

EDIT: We weren’t buying. The salesman was talking about how ridiculous perfectly flawless diamonds are and brought it out to compare to the $17,000 1 carat he had on display. We opted to pass (ahem! not in our budget), but learned a lot from him.

Post # 9
6407 posts
Bee Keeper

@Ms_Midori:  You’re right, they look proportionate to her body, so if she is a smaller woman (e.g., Courtney Kardash) then it’s probably smaller than a carat, if she’s a larger woman (Khloe K), then a carat or more I would think.

I do think the tabloid is likely overestimating, but I was just cautioning not to be fooled by the size of the diamond, as I think that celebrities that don’t obviously go for size-above-all-else often go for the “best of the best of the best” at the size they find most flattering.

Post # 10
6407 posts
Bee Keeper

@ArtDecoDC:  ahaha they always want to show off their favorites, don’t they? A jeweler (NOT Cartier) also showed me an ideal D (IF, not FL though), even though he already knew our upper limit was a firm E, VVS1 (which we didn’t even end up meeting). And then there was another jeweler who just had to show me his “perfect bubblegum pink” 2 carat pear in a halo, even though I didn’t want pink, 2 carats, a pear or a halo… never mind it was nowhere even remotely close to our budget. He knew. He just wanted to show it 🙂

Oh, the suffering I endured, checking out and trying on these extraordinarily expensive baubles… life when engagement ring shopping was so hard… lol… So hard that I need to come up with some sort of excuse to do it again!

Post # 11
1625 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@Ms_Midori:  hahaha I just wanted to say that I skimmed your post at first and thought you wrote Mario BATALI, as in the chef, and when you posted the pic of his fiance I thought WHOA..He found a MUCH younger pretty little thing.

Post # 12
1849 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@joya_aspera:  NK.  That almost-10 carat marquise was a cross I had to bear…

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors