Post # 1
Hello you gorgeous bumblebees…I have a question.
I just started at a new job, and I’m concerned that there is mold in my building. It is super old and constantly flooding. Every other day they have to put a fan on the carpet to dry it out.
Anyway, I’ve noticed that when I come home, my throat hurts from breathing in the wet air all day, and was wondering if it would be too high maintenance for me to ask them to put a dehumidifier in my room?
Also….is mold something I should be really concerned about?!?!
Scared in Seattle.
JK, I’m not really in Seattle.
Post # 3
@MissAnnabelLee: Mold is not something to play around with- so if the employer knows that they have humidity and mold problems, I can’t see them objecting to having a dehumidifier, or even conducting an air quality test to make sure that there’s nothing that can harm their employers.
I don’t want to scare you, but I have a chronic autoimmune disease stemming from mold exposure in an old property I rented, and after being bedridden for around 2 years, I know the risks now and take every precaution to protect myself. ( I should mention that the mold I encountered is quite rare, and only appears in 1/10, 000 buildings, if even that much, so I’m fairly confident what may be in your building would only cause allergies at worst)
Never hurts to approach them with your concerns, though, and see where they go from there.
Post # 4
@MissAnnabelLee: I also think mold is a big deal. My twin sis lived in an old apt that had mold everywhere and she was constantly sick. It also lingered on her clothing and she would smell a little off.
She never believed me that it was the mold that made her sick until she finally moved and miraculously stopped getting sick all the time!
If your boss refuses that request.. i don’t know.. i know it’s a new job, and the last thing you want to do is job search again, but your health is more important.
Post # 5
Have a look at http://epi.publichealth.nc.gov/oee/a_z/mold.html
It’s not deadly by any means (especially if you are otherwise healthy) but it CAN cause problems and infections. In my opinion, this is a legitimate health (or well-being) concern, and you shouldn’t be having these symptoms at work!
They should at the very least provide you with a dehumidifier. They really need to get their infrastructure updated, because with frequent floods it will be hard to rid the building of mold. Definitely talk to someone about this!
It is not high-maintenance to ask to not work in a moldy environment, don’t worry…
Post # 6
@MissAnnabelLee: I would be concerned. My ex lived in a basement with mold problems, and developed breathing problems we thought as a result.
Post # 7
like pp said its not high maintenance not to want to work in a moldy environment BUT you do need some evidence of mold. otherwise i think they are going to think you’re high maintenance or being dramatic when you say its a concern and ask for a de-humidifier. Esp given its a new job and you arent well known
on a seperate note – i didnt even know dehumidifiers existed
if they dont provide one, you may have to pay for one yourself
Post # 8
Yes, be concerned. The vast majority of mold isn’t going to hurt you, but you never know what kind of mold it is. For instance, I lived in a really old dorm building that had mold in it, and I had a chronic sore throat like you, which went away as soon as I moved out. My cousin lived in an apartment for about 3 weeks that, unbeknownst to her, had black mold growing in the walls. She woke up one morning blind in one eye and totally freaked out (who wouldn’t?) Even though her vision came back the next day, after sleeping somewhere else, it was a terrible experience for her.
+1 to the posters who recommended buying your own dehumidifier…although you should still definitely bring it up to your supervisors, multiple times if necessary. And for the time being, maybe pop a zinc pill every morning to keep your immune system up.