Post # 1
I just got engaged on Saturday-YAY! And everyone is asking for the date. My fiancé and I are very indecisive (this will be one of many posts!) between getting married in October of this year (which is only a 7 month engagement) or May 2012.
Some things you should know:
1. I am unemployed–this is a blessing and a curse. I am debating focusing all my attention on the wedding or look for a job and plan. I think just planning might make me crazy and it’s kind of lonely being home all day.
2. I live in Chicago and my family is in NY (so even though I have time…some things I need my mom’s help ie dress!)
3. We will probably be married in NY, so I don’t have the luxury of going to appt during the day
4. We both love fall colors. But I tried to convince myself that May is pretty too. I normally just think of pastels for Easter. But I know I could find nice colors for Spring. And May is time for graduations, communions, etc. Time for new beginnings?! Fall things are dying? Right?
5. I am an overthinker. Sorry
What does everyone think? Do you think planning for a wedding in 7 months will make me insane, especially because I am indecisive and that it’s in NY? Love to hear what you think.
Post # 3
We planned our wedding is about 9 months and I don’t think it was too crazy. I also was unemployed for half the time and did almost everything from a distance. It all can be done but you need to stay on top of everything.
I had to be super organized and budget like crazy since I had limited funds with being unemployed. However, we pulled off our dream wedding without going into debt at all.
You can do it! Just get organized and figure out your priorities.
Post # 4
@grace013: First off, congratulations on your engagement. I wish you happy planning though we all know how stressful it can be!
Here are my opinions/suggestions/advice:
- I did the same as of you. I would’ve LOVED to get married in May. But in my family, we have a TON of birthdays (including mine). There are graduations, communions, etc. So you’d have to worry about parties and other events falling on your date.
- I chose October as our wedding month, but am waiting until 2012. I am the only one working as of right now so we are not financially stable. He lost his job as soon as he proposed basically. Plus I have always wanted enough time to plan and save money so it’s perfect for us.
- Not everything in October is dying. Leaves are just turning colors. Mums are planted as fall flowers. I believe it’s the most beautiful time for the fall. There’s a lot you can do with those colors as well.
ETA: In the end, it’s what you and your FI want. It’s your wedding. It’s your special day. Good luck!!
Post # 5
Fall is my favorite season so there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted an October wedding. We had thirteen months to plan from the time we got engaged so it worked out nicely, but six – seven months, while doable, is going to be a lot more stressful for you, especially considering you’re planning a wedding in another state. If a fall wedding was somehow not possible for us, May would have been my second choice because the weather is starting to get warmer but it’s not hot and humid yet. You also have a lot of color options to work with (I like pale green and lilac for spring weddings) and obviously a lot more time.
Post # 6
Get married in October!!! Our engagement will be 14 months by the time we get married and I really wish it would have been shorter – especially if you’re an over thinker!!! A longer engagement just gives you more time to stress about really ridiculous details that don’t matter. By the time next May rolls around, you will be so TIRED OF PLANNING!!
Congrats on your engagement!!!
Post # 7
Okay, so I love fall weddings. The decor is so easy…so I might be biased I would go with October. But–I’ve had around 15 months to plan my wedding (been engaged for 2 years) and every month has helped so much. I couldn’t have done it in less than a year. My dress took 6 months to come in, bridesmaids took 4, and it depends if you are paying for the wedding yourselves but for us, we are doing it alone and we have had to save every penny so we needed the time.
Its kind of fun to enjoy being engaged, really research everything so you don’t have regrets about choosing vendors. I am actually going to miss wedding planning.
Have you thought about October of 2012?
Post # 8
We were pretty much in the exact same situation. We both love fall and wanted to get married in October, but didn’t want to have to deal with the stress of planning a super-fast wedding from a different state (our wedding is also in NY) if we had gone with the upcoming October 2011. I would tend to agree with @Heatherloveskenny:, and think about October 2012. What’s the rush? You only get married once so why not make it absolutely perfect and get married during the time of year you want without the stress of a 7 month planning process (not sure where you are in NY, and I’m not trying to scare you or anything, but when we were considering doing a much shorter engagement, a lot of the places we were looking at were already booked a year or more in advance…). The waiting has been a bit of a pain for me, but I think in the end it’ll be worth it.
Oh and a big congratulations! And good luck with whatever you decide!!
Post # 9
i say go for october! i was engaged for 7 months – to the date but by the time we picked a date i had 5 months to plan! and i got it done easy peasy
the great thing about that is you dont have time to be indesisive! but like PP poster said go ahead and check venues to see if they are open for oct!
good luck and congrats!