- Okole Maluna
- 8 years ago
- Wedding: June 2011
First and foremost, I’m kinda picky and a little bit of a neurotic mess. When I started looking for STDs, I nearly wanted to put a hole in my head–which was worrisome considering that the wedding planning process was still in its infancy! I just couldn’t find anything that felt right and began to obsess-“Oh my God, whatever I pick is going to dictate the whole color scheme/theme of my wedding; it’s too soon to start making these kinds of decisions!”
Now, I consider myself fairly creative and rather crafty (scrapbook-crafty more than create-a-magnificent-and-unique-centerpiece-using-nothing-more-than-a-bar-of-soap-and-colored-glue kinda crafty) and I’m sort of familiar with photoshop, so I did what any stubborn gal would do–I looked at other people’s ideas, borrowed elements of others’ ideas and created my own hybrid. It seemed like a simple enough idea; something that would take no more than a half an afternoon to design and a half bottle of cabernet sauvignon to assemble.
Well, the STD project was my first lesson in “Projects That You THINK Are Easy But Will Really Drive You Mad.” Before the final product was complete all of the following occurred (some occurred TWICE):
- I Bought A Photoshop For Dummies book and gave myself a crash course on layers, framing, matching, and how to make weird shapes that don’t come standard on the software pallette (1 bottle of sauvignon)
- I went to the ONE craft store, Walmart, Kmart, Kinko’s and the drugstore searching endlessly for the perfect cardstock in the proper qtys
- After coming home from Kinko’s, I realized that I had to turn right back around because I forgot to print the STDs. When I got home from THAT errand, I realized that I needed to buy a blade for my paper cutter (at the craft store!) so I had a half a bottle of sauvignon and decided I’d do it tomorrow.
- I spent a quarter bottle of sauvignon trying to find the exact dimensions that each piece of cardstocck needed to be cut so that every single STD was exactly the same as the other. Then I called FI and made him go back and purchase additional cardstock to replace what I destroyed trying to find those exact dimensions. It could have easily been a full bottle, but this task required intense concentration.
- Again back to craft store/Walmart/Kmart to find ribbon
- Then spent 2 more bottles of sauvignon (over 4 days) mounting, matting, ribbon-cutting, ribbon-tying, folding, stuffing, addressing and stamping the finished product