I’ll start 🙂
Age/SO’s Age: 34/34
TTC History (length of time TTC, previous IUI/IVF attempts, etc.): We’ve been trying for just over 3 years now (since January 2014). We have never felt comfortable with our fertility clinic, so we did not aggressively pursue treatment with them for a few years. We tried on our own for a long time. We eventually tried IUI #1 in August 2016 which failed. Despite all odds…we were able to get pregnant naturally the very next cycle, but it ended up being ectopic, so we had to terminate the pregnancy. It was an incredibly dark and difficult period, but like many things, time heals and we are emotionally ready to get back on the TTC wagon.
We recently became eligible for some funding towards one IVF cycle, so we jumped at the opportunity and met recently with our clinic to establish a game plan for the coming weeks.
Known Issues: I have mild PCOS and had a very thin lining. We believe that I may have been having very early miscarriages when first TTC because my lining was too thin to support a pregnancy. I’ve since undergone a supplementation plan that has improved my lining so it’s no longer a real issue. I recently underwent an AMH test which came back at 9.3 which is not stellar. But our RE believes we have a good chance at IVF, so I’m trying not to let it keep me awake at night.
We are also dealing with a few male factor issues. DH has very low morphology (2%) and has anti-sperm antibodies (his body recognizes his own sperm as a foreign body and attacks it). Due to these issues, our prognosis for natural conception is very low (<2%).
IVF plan (vitamins/supplements, short or long cycle, genetic testing, fresh/frozen transfer, # embryos to transfer, etc.): My RE wants me to take PregVit to up my folic acid following my ectopic. I’m not sure whether I will take it because I already take a very high quality prenatal that has activated folate instead of folic acid. I have also been instructed to take 800mgs of CoQ10 daily.
We both took the Karyotype test to see whether we are carriers for any serious genetic issues. Still awaiting results. I start birth contol pills in the coming days (just waiting for my next cycle to start). I’ll take those for 2-3 weeks and then begin the stims with testosterone to hopefully increase my egg count (has anyone else tried this?).
Following retrieval – anything that makes it to Day 5 will go for genetic testing (hopefully only PGS, but we’ll see what comes from the Karyotyping test). Following the testing, we are hoping to have something to transfer.
Our clinic will only transfer 1 embryo at a time and they do no fresh transfers because, according to my RE, freezing technology has improved so much that they see better results with frozen/thaw transfers than they do with fresh ones.
IVF Start Date: Just waiting on AF to start the BCP. Expect to begin any day now.
For bees experienced with IVF – Any advice for first-timers?: