J. Crew being slammed for new 000 size … Your thoughts ?

posted 2 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 2
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

Yeah. People who are that size need something to wear, don’t they? Besides, with vanity sizing, a 000 probably isn’t as small as it sounds. It’s probably the same as what a 0 was 10 or 20 years ago, except now a 0 is what a 4 used to be and a 4 is what an 8 used to be, y’know?

Post # 3
432 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I disagree with the concept of vanity sizing, but I see why they would start producing clothes in size 000. J. Crew’s sizes are so off, that smaller people have a hard time finding things that fit there.

Post # 4
2839 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I support anything that leads a company to offer a wider range of sizes. Selfishly, I wish they’d add more larger sizes too – but if there’s a market for clothes in that size, why not make them? (Vanity sizing has gotten out of hand, though – 20 years ago, a 000 would just be a regular 0. But that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t make clothes in that size – just that it’s a little silly they have to call it 000.)

Post # 5
496 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

My sister-in-law is smaller than a 0.  She is one of my bridesmaids and her size 0 dress is too big on her, so must be altered.  She’s perfectly healthy and just had a baby a year ago even – just very petite!  I don’t see anything wrong with this.  

Post # 6
526 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

I’ve never shopped at J. Crew. Do they do vanity sizing? If so, maybe I’ll start shopping there. I’d like to be a “size 4”.

Post # 7
1981 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

I am not THAT small- wedding dress size 10. I have love handles, I’m covered in cellulite, plump thighs, flabby arms, and not even close to being underweight. Thanks to vanity sizing, a 00P dress at Banana Republic was too big for me around my waist (Crazy right?!). Some people need that size (and even several sizes smaller)!   

Post # 8
8706 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

I don’t see the big deal. If people need the size, make it.

Post # 9
Hostess
8680 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Yeah, I don’t see the big deal either. If people wear the size, who cares?

There was a store here that had really odd sizing, it made no sense. It had “plus size” womens that started at 1, 2, 3, 4… so 16 was a 1, 18 was a 2, 20 was a 3, ect.

I never understood the point? Clearly, a size 20 girl will never look like she’s a size 3, but I guess it makes people feel better.

By the way, I wear a size 18, so I’m not being rude about peoples sizes, I just don’t understand the need for extreme vanity sizes.

Post # 10
2722 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

pinkpower:  If they run a little big, it might be necessary. Its not their fault that there are people out there who feel like they need to fit into the smallest size offered.

Post # 11
1437 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

With vanity sizing, I bet there are more people who need that size than you would think. I don’t shop at J. Crew, but I’ve been shopping at Express since I was in high school, and I wear a size 00 there now whereas I wore a size 4 ten years ago (and my weight has remained constant – I have proof of this in that I have a size 4 dress from there that I bought ten years ago and it still fits me like a glove!). If it keeps going, I won’t be able to shop there anymore as 00 is their smallest size. There are stores I’d love to shop at but nothing fits me thanks to vanity sizing. And yes I am thin, but I’m not THAT tiny.

It always makes me wonder where truly tiny people shop. If you’re short and small it’s probably not as much of a problem, but for me being 5’8 and small it’s rare that I can find stuff that fits in regular and long lengths, rather than petites.

Post # 12
1749 posts
Bumble bee

Big whoop. It sucks they added a new size to ‘aspire’ to though.

Post # 13
167 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I love J.Crew, but their stuff runs so big. I’m not surprised by the need for this new size.

Post # 14
8720 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s their choice. I wonder why these companies don’t make larger sizes since women on average seem to be getting larger but I guess they don’t have to.

Post # 15
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I don’t see why it’s such a big deal. As someone who’s been 30+lbs heavier than I am now and still not a skinny Minnie it drives me nuts when things are too tight and I can’t find my size I can’t imagine it would be any different when things are too big on you and as a skinny girl you can’t find your size. That said it also drives me nuts when stores carry 000 or XXS but don’t go past a size 10 or L.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors