January 2014 Brides – Dress Alterations?

posted 3 years ago in January 2014
Post # 3
292 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

@SophieB3:  I had my first fitting about two weeks ago – will be going in again beginning of November.  My mom was paranoid about the dress not being ready (due to holidays), so I will probably try to have the dress done by mid-December.

Post # 4
473 posts
Helper bee

@SophieB3:  My first fitting is November 2 and the final fitting will probably be the week before our wedding.

Post # 6
1887 posts
Buzzing bee

@SophieB3:  My first fitting is tomorrow, and I am both excited and nervous!  It sounds like we January brides are all starting fittings at around the same time, give or take a week, which is a relief to know.

Post # 7
26 posts
Newbee

I just picked up my wedding gown on Saturday. I was going to wait a while to begin alterations, but started calling around to at least find a good seamstress and ended up with an appointment about 10 days from now.

I’m actually glad to get the fittings started sooner rather than later. I like my dress, but am not madly in love with it, so I promised myslf that I would do everything possible to make it fit me like a dream through alterations. I know this seamstress will have no problem making minor adjustments to account for weight fluctuations right up until the week before the wedding without charging me extra, so there’s really no downside in getting started early.

Plus, I’m glad to get it out of the house, so there’s no temptation or pressure to keep trying it on. I really don’t want to keep trying it on while the fit is still less than flattering. No one needs to see it until it fits me correctly! Plus, when I put it on now, all I do is obsess about all the little adjustments I want to make!

Post # 9
1887 posts
Buzzing bee

@CPM:  I can totally relate on repeatedly trying on the gown.  It’s nice to have it with the seamstress and not even have the option anymore!

Post # 12
3210 posts
Sugar bee

@SophieB3:  Ugh, this is so stressful. My dress is in Florida, where our wedding will be, and I won’t be down there until Thanksgiving, so… I can’t even start until 11/29. Fortunately I’m not having major alterations, but still, I’m getting nervous!

Good luck on Friday!

Post # 13
26 posts
Newbee

$565, ugh. Another place quoted me $500, but they are not as well-reviewed as this seamstress was and might charge additional if extra fittings were needed due to continuing weight loss. Not what I was hoping to hear AT ALL. But I guess I inadvertently purchased the type of dress that is labor-intensive to alter.

Post # 15
26 posts
Newbee

@SophieB3:  Yeah. If I had known how much more expensive lace dresses can be to alter, I might have chosen differently! Too late now. At least I feel confident my dress will fit perfectly.

Post # 16
4072 posts
Honey bee

I haven’t even sought alterations yet, eeep. Luckily I shouldn’t have much to do. It fits pretty great. i need a bustle, but besides that, I don’t think there will be much. I need to pick up the bra I will wear, then I will call around for alterations.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors