(Closed) Judgement call… take dog to vet?

posted 7 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
Member
2214 posts
Buzzing bee

I would probably wait until early next week if he doesn’t improve (or earlier if he gets worse).  As long as he’s eating and drinking normally and not in pain, then I would just finish up the meds and see what happens.

Post # 4
Member
3672 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

My thought when I’m torn about whether or not to go to the vet is just to call them and ask.  Our cat threw up on the hour every hour for like four or five hours one day.  We knew he had eaten plastic and eventually it should stop but it worried us so we just called and they told us to bring him in if he did it again but luckily he stopped so we were happy we didn’t take him in when yet.  So my thought is to just call instead of taking him in (and like you said wasting time and money) and asking them. 

Post # 5
Member
3576 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I”m a worrier as well with most things and especially when it comes to our dogs.   I would be torn as well, but I think I would run through the full course of meds.  Have you ever taken a muscle relaxer?  They definitely make you tired.  So perhaps he’s having that side effect.

You know, you could also put a call into your vet and ask for them to call you back so you can at least discuss it.

If he’s not any better after all of the meds are done, I would definitely take him back though.

Post # 6
Member
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I personally would wait until the end of the treatment course.

And he very well could be “milking it”, today and tomorrow don’t give him any extra attention or special treatment like you’ve probably done (like we all tend to do when our pets are sick or hurt) since his injury, see if he changes his tune.  One of my dogs in particular is a huge “milker”, but when he realizes you’re not reacting to it, he acts normal again.

Post # 8
Member
3672 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

@CorgiTales: That isn’t a very helpful answer.  You could always sneakily call another vet and ask what they think.  Our vet didn’t even remember our cat (or our dog for that matter) when we called which was frustrating but they still answered the questions.  

Post # 9
Member
2397 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I have a corgi mix and literally the exact same thing happened to her.  She yelped everytime she went up or down the stairs.  We took her to the vet, and they said that she probably pulled a muscle in her back.  They gave her pain medicine for us to give to her.  After a week or so, she seemed to be back to normal.

I think I would probably wait. As long as he’s not showing any other symptoms, it’s probably just taking awhile to heal.  Is he still eating and drinking?  Maybe you could block him from walking up and down stairs for a few days?  That’s what really bothered our dog the most.  Hope he feels better!

Post # 12
Member
3672 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

@CorgiTales: Ah, that is an issue.  Then I agree with the PPs and I would probably finish the treatment and then take him in if he’s still not feeling well.  

Post # 13
Member
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

My puppy did this one time.  We lived in an apartment with stairs and all of a sudden he just stopped racing up and down like he used to.  Luckily it happened right around the time he was going in to be neutered so they also did a quick xray of his hips to check them out.   We never figured out what it was except that a few days later he came down with the same really bad cold that I had (I have never seen a dog sneeze so much or literally have a runny nose). 

Anyways, I agree I would wait a few days without the meds to see what he does and then take him back in.  More than likely the next option is going to be to run some tests which is going to cost money (bloodwork, xray, ultrasound etc.).  Do you know if he is eating/drinking normally?  Could the reason be he’s not running around because something is stuck or twisted in his tummy?

Post # 14
Member
1052 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - Cedar Lake Cellars

In my experience, dogs can read us pretty well and adapt their behavior, but they can’t fake pain or depression.  Even if your dog is a genius, he just can’t make that leap.  Pain is pain in dogs.  And, actually, they tend to be fairly stoic.  A slow moving dog can be a pretty big deal. 

Also, the adorable corgi shape (short legs, long back) predisposes them to disc problems in their back.  He may have done more than just pull a muscle, he may be working on slipping a disc.  So, if you are going to wait, please don’t let him take stairs or jump anywhere.  That could take a painful problem into a spinal cord problem (= very expensive surgery). 

Also, per the phone – your vet should be more than willing to talk to you on the phone and discuss your case.  Legally, we can’t diagnose over the phone, but we can give you advice or a general gauge on how concerned you should be.  Give it a try, tell them you’re really worried and need to talk to the vet.  Any vet should consider that part of their job. 

Post # 15
Member
322 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@CorgiTales:  I would get a different vet’s opinion.  The only reason I say that is because something similar happend to my parent’s dog (husky/shephard) over the holidays.  The first vet thought he was diabetic, but then my parents took him to the emergency vet, and it turns out that he actually had some type of “syndrome” that caused him to have fluid on the brain and affect his nervous system.  Long story, short – if they would have just followed the course of insulin, he would have passed away.  But now, with antibiotics and steroids, he has a 90% chance of survival. 

Sorry to hear about that – I really hope he gets to feeling better. 

Post # 16
Member
1815 posts
Buzzing bee

Ugh I’m a nutcase about my dog and I had to do the same thing this week…should I take her or wait? I ended up waiting (her eye was all puffy) and it worked out ok but it makes me so anxious!

I would probably wait until the medicine is done. If it still isn’t working then I’d take him back. At this point it probably isn’t getting worse because it’s not like he’s running around recklessly hurting himself even more if he’s moving that slow.

The topic ‘Judgement call… take dog to vet?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors