July 2015 Brides! What are your DIY plans?

posted 2 years ago in July 2015
Post # 2
267 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

I’m about to start working on our DIY/stamp save the dates! 

(Stock photo from etsy shop, not our actual one)

Then it’ll be homemade linen napkins!

Post # 3
988 posts
Busy bee

Given that our budget is around the $5K mark, our wedding will be pretty DIY heavy. We’re DIY-ing All the paper products (Invites, RSVPs, STDs, and programs). I’m also doing the caligraphy for the envelope addressing and we’re DIY-ing all the flowers the week of the wedding. So far, what we’ve managed to do is:

• Design the Invites
  • Design the RSVPs
  • Design the STD
  • Buy all the vases for the centerpiece flowers.
  • Order all the envelopes & printer ink ($200!! What?! we’re learning that DIY may be cheaper, but it’s still not free. lol). Once the envelopes arrive, I’ll be able to get a jump start on addressing. I figure if I spread it out and just do a couple at a time, I’ll stay sane throughout the process.

I was pretty thrilled about the vases. We had a huge (30,000 SF) charity garage sale last weekend in my hometown, so FI and I went in search of inexpensive wedding items. Vases of all different shapes and sizes were abundant, and it was the last day of the garage sale, so everything you could fit in a trash bag was $5…We found a ton of pillow cases, wrapped the vases up and carefully filled a bag. $5 and 23 mismatched pieces of glassware later,  we feel pretty accomplished.

Post # 4
723 posts
Busy bee

My mom got remarried in July 2013, and since it was a backyard wedding at her house it was all DIY. I had just moved back and wasn’t working yet so I helped her a lot and it was exhausting. When the wedding day came, my mom didn’t want to lift a finger and didn’t consider how that resulted in me doing a million things and not even enjoying the day.

Next July is my turn and from the experience with her wedding and now having a job that doesn’t give me the time for much DIY, I decided the cost of conveniece was worth it! For a very reasonable price, our venue includes table decor options like vases (mercury glass, milk glass, clear, square, round..), mason jars, lanterns, cedar planks, wooden boxes, or little tree stumps etc. AND they include fresh floral. 

Here’s some stuff from other weddings at the venue that will be similar to what we’re doing for mine:

Basically we’re left with bringing in personal touches. Some signs and table numbers, and little paper fans for the guests during the outdoor ceremony. 

Post # 6
72 posts
Worker bee

you are so lucky to have access to that garage sale! I’ve been thrifting weekly for brass accents at Goodwill/other local thrift stores (Some of them even know me by name now!) we had a slow start to our wedding planning because I manage a retail store and gearing up for Christmas season has been a tough road at work plus his little brother is getting married 2 weeks before us and got engaged 2 months before us so we had to make sure all the details were going to be different and they had set their date/venue (we live in a small town so we don’t want to throw similar parties so close together). She’s doing a rustic vintage theme and were doing a 1930s speakeasy. I also waitress at a bar at night (this small town happens to be a college town so the bar life is always busy and the tips are a great way to add to my wedding fund!) I only know a few details so far but all of our glass is coming from the bar – my co-workers at the bar are going to save whatever I need so I can take all of the empty beer/liquor bottles that I want and I’m stupid excited over that detail! instead of lavish floral details, were just going to place a couple feathers in the bottles and maybe a solitaire rose in a few of them. im also going to hit up hobby lobby for a lot of their sparkly/holiday floral arrangement accents this week.. Because of our theme, nothing has to be dramatically matchy matchy! I’m hoping I won’t even need a florist!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  nessa.ana.
Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors