Just for fun: Imagine you have a week to plan a wedding and $1000.00 to spend.

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
6525 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

@kellyk1214:  $1,000 where I live would do nothing for me. My only option would be the courthouse and dinner afterwards with immediate family. LoL

Post # 4
27 posts
Newbee

Haha I don’t think that would be fun for anyone on here. I think it’d be more like a nightmare. 

Post # 5
Hostess
9910 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

@kellyk1214:  courthouse, grocery store bouquet, sister photographer, whoever could come would go out for pizza OR we’d buy trays of food (cheese, crakers, oven bake appys and cram everyone in to our small apartment or we’d get a suite at FH’s hotel)

Post # 6
1888 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

What about a flash mob of your friends?  I’d get everyone on the beach, a ways off the beaten path (since getting permits might take too long), tell everyone to bring whatever cameras they wanted (candid pics all the way!), get one of our friends to do the service (we have a few who could), foor would be a bar-b-que pit/grill and some casual party trays from CostCo.  If we could grab a sheet cake from them all the better.  Music would be on an iPod.  Dear god you can tell that I’ve thought about this way too much!

Post # 7
743 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - Our Backyard/Steakhouse

@kellyk1214:  Perspective is an amazing thing isn’t it?

Phone call invites, our backyard, simple dept store dress (wouldn’t even care about colour), and iPod, a DSLR, and a home made dinner.  Probably about 10 people.

It’s amazing when you strip back the ‘wedding-ness’ of it all how simple and intimate it can all be.

Post # 8
4640 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@kellyk1214: $1000 wouldn’t even feed people.. I would do city hall and dinner with my FI at a nice restaurant.

Post # 9
2878 posts
Sugar bee

I’m not even sure I could go to the courthouse. I think you need to advertise your upcoming wedding several weeks ahead, it’s required by law.

Anyway, if for some reason I could go to the courthouse, that’s around 500$ just to get papers done. Considering I already have my dress and plan on doing my own makeup, I’d only spend the last 500$ over a fancy dinner for DH and I and spend the night in a suite. I could not afford to have guests, and I honestly wouldn’t give myself the headache of planning something with family at this point. 

Post # 10
1734 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 1998

I’d probably rent a pavilion at a park around here (probably about $50) and have both the reception and ceremony.

Cake – Walmart (same as my wedding) – $70 for a cake that serves about 60 people.

Invitations – Printed at home, hand-delivered to most, mailed to the rest (about $40)

Dress – Thrift Store! – About $50 (And he has a suit)

Food and Drink – I know a restaurant around here that was catering for $7.00 a person at a friend’s wedding. I think it was more of a brunch-style buffet. But, at our actual wedding, we had 50 people, so…$350, and we’ll add on another $50 for colas and the like to drink.

Centerpieces and Similar Decorations- $50 (same price I paid for the ones for my wedding – it was all artificial flowers, floral tape, glass gemstones and candle holders painted with acrylics, decorated with tulle, ribbon and stick-on rhinestones)

Hair and Make-up: $15 (Same as my actual wedding day. I bought a bun dome on Ebay for $10 and bobby pinned it into my head. Make-up was $5 – cheap stuff in addition to what I already had)

Jewelry – $15 (cosmetic jewelry set – looked good enough for the big day)

So, that puts us at $690…

Plates, napkins, silverware, table covers (probably plastic in this scenario), etc. – about $15 (Total: $705)

Videography and photography: Relatives (same as the wedding day

Music: Sure thing – a laptop going through a playlist

Tables and Chairs: Assuming pavilion didn’t have them, I know of a place around here where I can rent tables that seat 8 for about $5 apiece…so about $35 for enough tables. Another $50 for all of the chairs. That bumps us up to a total of $790

Veil and Shoes: $40 (Same as what I paid in the real-world – $840)

Card box, bouquet (throwing and my old-fashioned one): $30 (Total: $870)

Thank-You Cards: $60 (for postage and for blank cards to send out. Total: $930)

Marriage License: $20 (Total: $950)

Wedding rings and ring box: Stainless steel sets with cubic zirconia, about $50 on Ebay (that’s if we need something for placeholders)

Edited-to-Add:

Officiant: In real life, had my brother ordained through the Universal Life Church. Didn’t cost a penny.

There we go – $1k wedding.

Post # 11
491 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Challenge accepted!  I would:

Find a friend who lives in a high rise with a rooftop patio & reserve the space

Find a friend who has been ordained online to do the ceremony

Blast out a paperless post ASAP 

Spend an afternoon making cupcakes

Run to Binny’s for cases of champagne

Get a ton of pizzas and a keg from the Piece Brewery

Make a playlist for an ipod, bring portable speakers or call in a favor from one of our DJ friends & have a dubstep reception

Make an instagram hashtag & ask one of our talented amateur photographer friends to take a few photos

Scour consignment shops/TJ Maxx/Marshalls for a long white dress for me and a suit for FI

Party down!!!

Post # 12
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I would call everyone we know, get married in a church, and have a cake and punch reception!

I’d get my dress off a sample rack, and I’d have all my amateur photog friends take pictures!

Post # 13
3222 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

@Daizy914:  agreed. I have to spend most of the week trying to find a decent $100-a-plate restaurant to be honest, and half our siblings couldn’t be invited unless they paid for themselves, lol.

More likely that I’d wear a dress I already own, go to city hall, and go her freshly made ice cream sandwiches with our families afterward. Or do a morning wedding and spring for brunch. I could do brunch for 10 people and be right on budget if everyone sticks to only one mimosa and one coffee.

Post # 14
905 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Ooh, fun question!  We would cut the guest list down to parents and siblings for sure; that’s just 10 people including significant others, and we’d hopefully be able to cram them in the courthouse.  If not, we’d find a cheap officiant and get married in a park.  Then, we’d take everybody out to dinner at a nice-ish restaurant (which we could totally pull off for <$1,000 in my city).  FI would wear one of the suits he already owns, I would get a short white dress from a local department store, and we’d get grocery store flowers.  We’d probably recruit a friend to take pictures.

Post # 15
1491 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Teeny-tiny small itsy bitsy wedding!  

I would have used a white evening gown I already owned, had the ceremony at my church, and had dinner afterwards with only immediate family at a nice local restaurant.   Flowers would have been from a local grocery store, as would have been my cake.  Music for “reception” would have been via an ipod. Maybe some dancing, maybe not. The guest list would be incrediably small — immediate family only, maybe a few additional friends/extended family if the budget allowed for it.  (edit: forgot about photos! hmm, maybe would have had friends who are good with photos to take them on my dsl. or hired a student photographer…)

This was actually my original plan for my original idea of a DW in the carribean!!  It got scrapped because the cost for our guests (mostly family only) would have been astronomical to get there, and I couldn’t put that burden on them.  

Post # 16
569 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

I would buy a fun and flirty 1950’s dress, only invite family under the pretense of a differant reason… maybe Melbourne Cup Day, Australia Day, Footy Grand Final or an early Christmas Party.

It would be a bring your own BBQ, with a few decorations, some flowers, paper chains, jars with candles, fairy lights and the cake would be homemade.

We would watch the races or footy (depending on the excuse to get the family over) and play some games.

Then…

SUPRISE!! We are getting MARRIED!!

Smile

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors