Just for fun…would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)

posted 2 years ago in Home
  • poll: Would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)
    Yes, I would love to! : (56 votes)
    46 %
    I would want to if it wasn't creepy or in really bad shape. : (36 votes)
    30 %
    No thanks. : (29 votes)
    24 %
  • Post # 2
    1478 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

I love older homes!  The earliest I ever see on the market around here (midwest) are late 1800s.  That 2nd one is to die for!

Post # 3
    282 posts
    Helper bee

I LOVE old homes like that!  I grew up in a 150+ year old house, so I have always had this interest and respect for homes like that.  One of my favorite shows is Rehab Addict, where the host restores and updates historic homes.  The homes get new features like all new electrical and modern kitchens, but she stays true to the age of the home.  That would be my dream home.  Getting an older home that needs work is hard.  Usually, doors and windows are not standard measurements so any updates end up being completely custom, whereas with a newer home you can just run down to Home Depot for a new door or something.  Also, you have no idea what’s going on inside the walls–wiring, plumbing, heating and air (or lack thereof) could be totally messed up and need a rehaul…Despite that, I love the feeling you get being in an old home like that, so it’s totally worth it for me!

Post # 4
    1478 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

irkeiko:  Rehab Addict is my favorite show!  I love Nicole!  As much as I love it, I’d be way too scared to take on the projects that she does.

Post # 5
    6614 posts
    Bee Keeper

It might be fun to live in such an old house, but if you’re going to own it, the repairs could be a big hassle. 

Post # 6
    461 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

while i love the look of older houses….i would never do it again, as far as the work involved. I lived in a house that was about 120 years old once….plaster walls were a pain, as we had to mess with them for a reno, we couldn’t fit a queen sized bed upstairs due to overhang in stairwell (obv, smaller beds were much more common back then), and there was NO insulation! There was really no end to issues. <br /><br />It was gorgeous….but just not something I would ever want to upkeep again. That second one is gorgeous….I think I’d just start dressing in Victorian era clothing if I lived there lol, so beautiful!

Post # 8
    3044 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

I live in an area where most of the houses are 100 years old plus! Things to watch out for are wiring (good old knob and tube wiring from the 30’s or earlier may still be in these houses) and making sure the house is not leaning on the foundations. You can replace foundations but it costs a heck of a lot.

on the bright side, a lot of regions have historical resource boards and foundations – if you apply for heritage status often those boards have grant money available to help you renovate old buildings and make them useable, so long as you don’t change the character-defining elements. For example, I know a couple who bought an old church built around 1901, and so long as they don’t change things like the roofline and certain beautiful details they can basically do almost what they want. 

Post # 9
    282 posts
    Helper bee

rel318:  It’s odd.  One of the earlier tenants of my house was the town physician, so I’ve always wondered if anyone has died in the house.  Once I found a reaaaaally old pair of crutches in one of the attics.  That was kinda creepy.

The house is huge.  There are 6 fireplaces in the “half” of the house that I lived in growing up.  To this day, I still have really weird dreams about the house and how certain areas are bad, or evil somehow.  In one dream, I accidentally went through a door before realizing I wasn’t supposed to be in that room, and when I turned around to leave, the door slammed shut by itself, locking me in.  I got so scared that I woke up.

<br />I think it stemmed from the fact that my grandma lived in the other half of the house, and she is a hoarder.  It was off limits when I was a kid, so I only snuck in when no one was home.  All the rooms were completely set up, but untouched in 30 or more years.  She had her collections out everywhere, dolls, teacups, cookie jars, perfume bottles, you name it.  I think that was just creepy to me as a kid–but now I love it.  As a teenager I would spend hours going through the rooms and looking at all her old stuff.

Post # 11
    942 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

rel318:  We live in a house that is almost old enough to fit your poll. It was built in 1876, so it’s 138 years old. It was coverted into a duplex about 10 years ago (basically they just added a kitchen to the upstairs – which is where we live). Most of the houses in our neighborhood were built into the 1800s.

There are some strange noises at night, which used to creep me out but now I’m used to it. The floors are not even. If you drop something in the bedroom or kitchen, it will roll to the door. We try to buy furniture with adjustible legs because of that.

I love the style and just the general feel of older homes. I don’t think my DH and I will ever purchase one though. They can be expensive to upkeep according to our landlord.

Post # 12
    895 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

That second home is beautiful!  I would live there in a heartbeat.  But I currently live in a very old home so that is clearly my preference.

AprilinTX:  haha…You just described my house to a tee!  We were able to get our queen mattress upstairs but the boxspring wouldn’t fit.  Nothing a new platform bed wouldn’t fix.  The ancient oil tank furnace in the basement was a giant headache and our bathroom reno…. Oh my goodness.  It had a concrete subfloor and old cast iron tub and pipes.  On the second floor.  I don’t know how the weight of it didn’t send it crashing through the the ceiling. 

Our house has been a ton of work but watching it transform has been totally satisfying.  I would do it all over again.

Post # 13
    83 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: December 2000

We own one that is 150 years old.

It has been completely rehabbed, so a lot of the charm is gone. But, the crazy deep window sills were restored, and I love them!

I love old homes…As long as they have been updated over the years.

We looked at one before we bought ours that was also totally re-done, but the owner did it to the time period (1851)

I ran through it like a kid in a candy store. It was the most gorgeous house I had ever been in.

It was oil heat though. We didn’t want to heat a 3000 sq. foot house on oil heat.

I would and have purchased an older home, as long as it has been updated (especially heating and cooling systems)

Post # 14
    195 posts
    Blushing bee

Nope, never. I’ve watched enough scary movies that even the thought of an older house gives me the willies. 

Post # 15
    1878 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2013 - Valparaiso, IN

My sister and brother in law live in a very old home. It definitely needs a lot of work, but I’ve never felt creeped out in it, but I’ve never felt creeped out in old homes. My grandparents have lived in the same home since my mom was little and it was old when they first moved in. So, I guess I’m used to being in old homes. DH and I are planning on building, but were also open to the idea of buying and renovating.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors