Post # 1
My dog just got a hold of about a third of a piece of biscotti that had chocolate chips in it. I estimate he might have injested about 3-4 chocolate chips. He’s an 8.5 pound dog. How alarmed should I be? I can’t reach his vet on the phone until tomorrow. What should I watch for?
I had another dog get into some chocolate years ago and he just threw up once and all was fine. But he was 34 pounds.
Post # 3
I think that amount should be ok BUT I would get ahold of the number for an emergency get in your area and call them. I had the same situation and I was able to speak with a vet tech for free. They’ll be able to better advise you. Just in case.
Post # 4
You should be okay, just monitor him. This is coming from someone whose dog regularly eats bobby pins, cans, coins, underwear, and fallen onion/grape pieces.
Post # 5
I would not be too concerned. My parent’s poodle would break into my mom’s room and unwrap bags of dove milk chocolate. She was 13 pounds. I think that cocoa powder should be kept far away, same with anything with a higher cocoa content, but milk chocolate is usually very watered down by sugar, milk, and other things that a little should not hurt the pup. Best to be careful and talk to a vet, but do not stress about this.
My girl ate a half a box of matches once…that I called puppy poision control about and paid the 15 dollar fee.
For future reference, a dog can eat one match per pound and be OK.
Post # 6
According to this: http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity, your dog consumed less than a Tablespoon (1 oz.) of chocolate, so you should be ok. Even with 1 oz. of milk chocolate, it would be very mild according to the link.
Post # 7
@Fizzy8: I have the number in my phone already just in case. But I think they will tell me to just come in even if not necessary for the office fee. My regular vet wouldn’t do that but from my experience with the ER they would.
@MrsDogMama: It was milk chocolate for sure, it actually hardly tasted like chocolate, I think the cocoa content was very low. I was bummed because the biscotti was way too expensive for the quality. One match per pound, got it! haha!
@Ellicott: Thanks! To everyone!
Post # 8
@vess5: he will be fine. It’s really pure bakers chocolate that is dangerous. my moms 5 lb Yorkie at a box of chocolate chip granola bars once and vet was not concerned at all. Dog was fine!
Post # 9
You should be just fine my dog got into a huge chunk of hershey’s chocolate when she was like 1 and we didn’t know until the next day because we were downstairs and the chocolate was upstairs and she hid the evidence. She got really hyper then slept like a baby through the night, didn’t show any signs of being sick and its had no long term effects because that happened like 7 years ago and shee still good, but I think she has slit addiction to it know because she still begs for our chocolate every time we get it out lol, but we don’t ever give her any.