(Closed) Just lost my $350 deposit =(

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
374 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Call a lawyer! I don’t know much about anything legal but if you didn’t sign anything that binds you to that agreement then you might be able to get your $$ back. However, they could probably argue that you verbally agreed to their contract. Again i’m not really well versed in this kind of thing but it couldn’t hurt to try! Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Post # 4
2550 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

If you know any lawyers, you can always have them send a stern letter.   If not, go through small claims.

Post # 5
5993 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

to be honest my thoughts are your deposit secured the booking date so i understand why they kept it. what if somone else now books the same date will you be refunded your deposit then?

Post # 6
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’m not a lawyer, but I can see her arguing that that by signing the receipt, you accepted the terms of the service (i.e. non-refundable deposit).  You could reach out to a lawyer or perhaps small claims court, but it may cost more to go that route than what you would get back.

Post # 7
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I don’t think so since the receipt states it was for the deposit.  The best you can do is hope they get the venue booked for something else on that day.  Then you would be entitled to your money back.

Post # 8
10288 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

I would just forget about the $350. If you try to fight it in court, you’re going to spend more time and money than it’s worth. 

Post # 11
470 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Definitely talk to the owner.  I know that at my venue if I cancel and another party of the same size or larger books that same date, I would receive a full refund.  Hopefully that’s an option, at the very least.  It’s so far away that I think you should get your money back but some establishments really like to give people the shaft for a few extra bucks

Post # 12
541 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

If it was a credit card, dispute it.

Post # 14
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

@misskarianne:A contract would be binding even if it was on a napkin.  And yes, if it was booked you could ask for your deposit back.  That just wouldn’t be for at least 11 months or less.

Post # 15
2600 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Definitely try the owner first, then if they say no, if it was a credit card, tell him you’ll be disputing the charge.

Good luck!

The topic ‘Just lost my $350 deposit =(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors