Post # 1
Hi everyone. i found your board by accident and, since everyone seemed to be so nice and have so much fun, I joined! I just got engaged to my Boyfriend or Best Friend of 5 1/2 years on New Year’s Eve and we are planning a June wedding. He is my best friend and definitely my other half. We’ve been talking about getting married for a while and are so excited now it’s finally happening! Anyway, I just wanted to say hi.
P.S. I am going dress shopping with my mom and Maid/Matron of Honor tomorrow. Any suggestions to help it go smoothly? I’m a little worried about Mom and me butting heads… Thanks!
Post # 3
@Damselfly: Welcome and congratulations!
As for dress shopping, here’s the advice I have:
1) Eat a good breakfast because it is hard work and tiring
2) Wear/bring proper undergarments. The consultant will be helping you in and out of dresses. I wore a strapless bra and spanx (more comfortable than a strapless bra and just a thong).
3) Try on all different silhouettes, styles, and fabrics. You never know what you are going to like.
4) Be clear about your price range up front. You do not want to fall in love with a dress only to find out it is way out of your price range.
5) Don’t expect to find your dress on the first try, and don’t expect the moment you have the dress on you will “know”. I had to try “my dress” on 3 times at 3 separate appointments before I knew it was “the one”.
6) Wear some make up and have your hair look nice. It’s easier to picture the “wedding day” look that way.
And most importantly
7) HAVE FUN! Playing dress up is fun. And your dress is out there somewhere.
I tried on 50-60 dresses before finding mine. So if you don’t find it the first time out, just keep looking.
All the best and welcome to the bee!
Post # 4
i agree with KatNYC2011 on her suggestions.
Post # 5
@Damselfly: Welcome! I think that “Kat” covered it all! Have a great time and enjoy wedding planning 🙂
Post # 6
Welcome! I also agree with KatNYC2011’s tips. I was dreading trying on dresses, but it actually turned out to be a positive experience for me. Going with tip #3 above, definately be open-minded. I thought I wanted a certain style of dress and ended up getting something completely different, but I am so happy with my choice. You’ll be happy your mom is there. Sharing that experience with my mom meant so much and we really enjoyed it. She actually made me try on the style I ended up getting so sometimes a mother really does know best
Post # 7
@cafegirl: I took my Future Mother-In-Law on one of my appointments (because my mom lives on the other side of the country) and my Future Mother-In-Law actually picked out what became “my dress”.
I never would have pulled it off the rack, and was super skeptical about even trying it on, but I did it because she wanted me to.
Being open minded is REALLY important and always ask the consultant for their suggestions. They see lots of brides and usually know what will be flattering on your body type.