- 2 years ago
- Wedding: May 2015 - The Fairmont, SF
This may be a bit long but please bear with me. I could really use advice if you have any to share.
To start, my SO and I are far from the conventional couple. I’ll be 22 within the week and he’s a decade and some years older than me but we met, fell in love, were living together within two months, and have been a couple ever since. It may seem fast to some but it was absolutely perfect for us. Neither of us has ever been happier or more in love and after speaking with both of our families, we’ve decided to get married with their full blessing. 🙂
We’re waiting until we go to the States for Christmas to buy my ring (with the exchange rate we’ll be getting way more rock for less money!) but we’ve decided that once we put a deposit down on a venue in the next month or so, we’ll announce that we’re engaged to be married in spring 2015. We could have a longer engagement but I want to return to America for my law degree next fall and our problem is that he’s a Brit and I’m American. While I luckily have the dual citizenship that allows me to stay in the U.K. indefinitely, that luxury does not go both ways. 🙁 In short, unless we get married, we would have to do long distance as he would be unable to live in America due to visa restrictions. Yes, I have thought about doing my schooling over here in the UK but we’ve both agreed that it makes more sense for me to do it back home.
We’re currently in the process of applying for a K-1 visa (you may have heard of it if you watched 90 Day Fiancé on TLC :P). Essentially, if approved for the K-1 visa, we would have 90 days to marry after he steps foot on U.S. soil. If anyone has gone through this application process before, I’d love to know:
1. How long did it take to receive approval/declination?
2. Would you book or put deposits down on a venue in advance of receiving your approval?
We really have our hearts set on a few venues in California and we don’t want to lose the date(s) we’ve selected just because we waited to receive a ‘yes’ from the bureaucratic powers that be. On the other hand, while we wouldn’t be devastated by the loss of a few thousand dollars in deposit, it would be incredibly annoying to have to start the process all over again in the event that we didn’t get approved or didn’t get approved in time! :/ And actually, I don’t even know if he’ll be allowed to go to America in December because if the visa is approved before that, the 90 days to marry requirement would kick in – ugh! I’m really confused on what to do.
Planning a wedding long-distance is hard enough but with all these visa hurdles to go through, I’m quite anxious. I’d really like to have everything (more or less) paid for and decided by December so that we can send out save the dates and give our guests enough notice but what if something goes wrong? Getting married in the UK is even less feasible because the K-3 visa (spousal) is apparently a paperwork nightmare that can take over 10-16 months to be approved!
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. 🙂