Kay Jewelers re-sells James Allen Diamonds for $2,000 more!

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
1992 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

This is nuts! Good detective work!

Post # 4
3442 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@chocolatejazz:  Never noticed it before, but Kay’s sucks & is way overpriced, so I’m not surprised.

Post # 5
8677 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

It’s simple reselling. Doesn’t surprise me.

Post # 6
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I didn’t know they used the same system, but I knew they marked up their diamonds a ton and that they’re GIA certed so available through countless other vendors but at better prices. We actually looked at several diamonds at Kay just to get an idea, but with no intention to buy. We personally know the certified gemologist at a local Kay and when DH took my Whiteflash-sourced GIA diamond to him to take a look at it before DH bought it, the gemologist asked about the price and said “Here, we’d have to sell this for at LEAST $2,500 more than what you’re paying for it”. Crazy.

Post # 8
11379 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

wow, kay’s is really overpriced.

Post # 9
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Ok, truth be told…

The Jewellery Market is one with only a few players (I think that most of us know this) and so that is why most of the prices are sooo rigid across the board.

Kay’s is owned by the Signet Jewellery Group = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signet_Jewelers

Although the above Wikipedia Page doesn’t reference / list James Allen (one has to remember that Wikipedia is written by the average Joe), I truly wouldn’t be surprised if James Allen is part of the Signet Group* (and hence why the two companies would share both photos & resources… including the fact that a particular diamond might be listed on BOTH websites

I did some digging around, and was unable to find a direct connection between the two companies… James Allen & Kay… or back to Signet (or to Sterling Jewelers which is the US Group under which all the US Stores / Operations are headed)

But that doesn’t mean that one doesn’t exist.

Hope this helps,

PS… And in reality, a “brick & mortar” store is gonna cost a lot more to run than a “virtual” store… due to the high cost of Overhead (Mall Rent – Insurance – and Salaries).  That funding has to come from somewhere…

Post # 10
99 posts
Worker bee

Most diamond dealers do not deal in diamonds that are in house. Many do hold inventory but most are drop shippers and the stones are held in repositories or in the inventory of other stores. This is why you can “call in” a stone from anywhere at pretty much any jeweler.

You can find the same diamond listed on multiple sites, as “virtual” inventory. There isn’t anything shady or sketchy about it but each dealer does set their own price. 

For example there is another 0.81 D-SI1 out there with an EGL cert: same diamond is listed for $2023 at USACerted and $1864 at Solomon Brothers.

Post # 12
1043 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Thats rediculous! Good pi work! I actually bought my ring from kays, but im still happy with it and the price they gave me on it. I think im the minority though lol

Post # 14
1261 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

wow…honestly, I would be %^$^$%^& mad if I paid that much for a diamond at Kay’s only to find the exact one sold some place else for A LOT less!  I’m done purchasing from mall/chain stores.

Post # 15
12870 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I’ve always though the mall chains were way over priced for what they are, but this is actually pretty surprising.  I thought they at least carried their own stuff and overpriced it, not just sold the same stuff as someone else with the mark up.

Post # 16
1465 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

I work at a Kay jewelers. It’s not a secret that if you shop online, you save money. But some guys buying rings, and most of the customers we serve, may not be tech savy enough to know about blue nile/James Allen/GOG, and most of them don’t trust buying something sight unseen (especially a diamond).

That, and overhead costs, as mentioned above are why Kay costs more. If you want customer service and to see something before you buy it, you will pay for it.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors