Kickstarter–$40,000 to make Potato Salad?!?

posted 2 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: Giving money to a guy so he can make Potato Salad is...
    Crazy! : (3 votes)
    10 %
    Fun! : (6 votes)
    19 %
    Wasteful! : (20 votes)
    65 %
    Ironic : (2 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 2
    1649 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2015

Ugh. I have had to max out my credit card two different times to pay my school tuition and still haven’t paid it back, and this guy gets 40 grand to make a potato salad?

That potato salad better end up solving world hunger. 

Post # 3
    2429 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2009

My husband and I felt the same exact way you did about the potato salad guy. I guess he’s using some of the money now to rent a hall and serve a bunch of potato salad to his backers.

Still, you see someone has raised $40,000 for POTATO SALAD, and still donate? I don’t get it!

Post # 4
    42089 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Post # 5
    720 posts
    Busy bee

julies1949:  in that the people who donated were fools and they are now parted from their money. Oi.

Post # 6
    6674 posts
    Bee Keeper

I will be glad potato salad guy got 40K if it helps shows people how ridiculous it is for able bodied,  non-destitute individuals to ask strangers for money for non-emergency purposes. 

Post # 7
    7282 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

weddingmaven:  Exactly. Half of the things on go fund me are nothing that anyone needs. They are just wants.

Give to those that need medical care because the country they live in feels more compelled to buy weapons than provide adequate and affordable medical care to it’s citizen whose minimum wage is a pittance.

Post # 8
    561 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

I personally thought the whole thing was hilarious. He needed $10 to make a potato salad, so who knows.. maybe he could use the money afterall? Who are we to judge. People can spend their money how they please, good for him for making $40,000+ off his sense of humour.

Post # 9
    2173 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

I think it’s hilarious.

Also, I think it’s drawing attention (both good and bad) to Kickstarter.  Maybe a couple people (like the OP) look around and donate to something they consider a real cause.  We also see the fallacy behind the set-up.

I’m curious as to what he’ll do with the money.  Imagine if he made potato salad for homeless shelters.  I wonder how people would feel then.

Post # 10
    3349 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

I don’t see how this is any worse than someone asking for money for any non life threatening purpose. I have to confess, I don’t like it when able bodied people essentially beg for funds. Don’t even get me started on the fund my wedding or IVF stuff.

I say go, potato salad guy!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors