(Closed) Kid’s tables & the age divide

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1126 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I think that breakdown sounds alright, but it also depends who’s related.  If an 8 year old and 16 year old are related, then it may make sense to have them at the same table (especially if the 8 year old is shy).  But if they’re all cousins and know each other, then breaking them down by age makes sense.  You could also ask the parents about the younger kids to see what they think would be more comfortable.

Post # 4
566 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Is 5 old enough to sit by him/herself and not with the parents? I guess depending on the child’s personality, it could be a real treat to feel grown-up and not be with the parents.

We have a different situation where one of my cousins has three kids all under 6 years old. We might end up seating the whole family together. I can’t imagine having a table of all little kids, some of whom aren’t sure how to use a fork πŸ™‚

Post # 5
2111 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

As an adult, I think kids tables are great.

BUT as a shy child, I HATED kids tables. I hated sitting away from my parents, even if it meant sitting with cousins that I knew.

So if you know some of those kids are shy, maybe check with the parents first?

Post # 7
566 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

That’s what I was thinking… my oldest niece (6) is so shy I have to re-train her to play with me every time I see her. So she’s a good candidate for staying with her parents, as are her younger siblings. But then 5 of them at one table means only 3 seats left over for others… this seating chart business is so confusing that I am going to put it off until I get some RSVPs.

Post # 8
686 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

As a mother of a 3 yr old and an aunt of an almost 6 yr. old…I don’t think I’d want my kid sitting seperately from me.  Putting a bunch of young children together is a recipe for disaster  ; )  If they’re sitting with their parents, the parent is making sure they are not running around, throwing food, yelling, etc.  lol

Also, the 12 year olds would end up being “babysitters” to the younger kids at the table. 

In my opinion…I think you should do the “kids” tables, but maybe rethink the younger kids.  What about doing 7/8ish to 12 and 13-17?   

Post # 9
2111 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Just had another thought…

What about letting all the kids (or most) sit with their parents during dinner and then having a kids table after dinner/during dancing for colouring, etc…? Then it would keep the kids occupied for the evening.

Post # 10
10714 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

I got sat at a kids table when I was 17 and I was kind of hurt to be thought of a s a kid… if that makes sense… I’d have 16 + 17 year olds sit with the adults. My sister whose 15 had the same thing happen last year where she got sat at a kids table and she completely freaked out…

I’d say kids table (5-11) / young adult table (12-15) no hurt feelings =D

Post # 11
939 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@HappilyEverAfter54: i was thinking the same thing! I would hate to be at a kid table at 16-17! That would be awful! Unless i was with other 15-17 year olds that i was close to.  but definitely not a bunch of younger kids.

Post # 14
736 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@Sunshine23: That’s what I was thinking!

Post # 15
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

More thoughts… I’ve heard of some couples hiring a babysitter for the wedding and combining it with goodie bags of sort that contain things to keep the kids occupied. I was 12 when my aunt was married and she did the goodie bag idea, but had kids sit with their families (there were 2 two year olds who happened to be wearing the same dress…. very cute and accidental…. and all the other kids were ages 10+ and we were only nieces/nephews of the bride/groom).

The topic ‘Kid’s tables & the age divide’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors