(Closed) Large (350-400) person wedding – when to greet guests?

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
6065 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2012

I have the same problem! Our guests will come in at around 320- I DEFINITLEY do not want to do a receiving line outside the church- I think that just delays everything and it’s awful.

I was planning on going around to each table around dessert time- table by table is better than person by person!

But I hope we have time to enjoy some of the meal…sigh***

Post # 4
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

You can just talk to people during the reception by going round to the tables, you dont have to do all the tables at once.  You can also split up and have the groom do his tables and you do yours.

Post # 5
341 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

It will be very long if you do a receiving line. Greet everyone at the reception.

Post # 6
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

Usually bride and groom are served dinner first, so you can eat quickly and go around to tables while guests are still eating. That way you don’t have to miss the party!

Post # 7
6065 posts
Bee Keeper

@bells: I can’t imagine a bride and groom splitting up to greet the tables. Have you ever seen this done? That seems kind of rude to me…

Sorry not trying to offend anyone but that just struck me as strange since no matter whose side the guests are on, they are all being hosted by the new married couple.

Post # 8
6065 posts
Bee Keeper

@artbee: We are having sit-down instead of buffet, otherwise what you’re saying would work perfectly!

Post # 10
332 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

We had 29 tables, and managed to visit all of them during the salad course. I’d say visit the tables during dinner, rather than doing a receiving line.

Post # 11
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

We went table to table during dinner. To make sure we had time, we arranged with the venue to serve our entrees during the salad course (that is, we ate our entrees while the guests were eating their salads). We still got to eat and had basically one and a half courses to get around to greet everyone. We did get caught up by some of DH’s chatty relatives who wanted to catch up–make sure you and your new hubby are on the same page as to how much time to spend with each table so you can get them all in

Post # 12
7300 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

Maybe you can have a private dinner between the two of you before the reception actually starts and then greet all the tables during dinner. That way you aren’t rushing to get away from one table to get to the next.

The topic ‘Large (350-400) person wedding – when to greet guests?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors