- 7 years ago
- Wedding: August 2020
Excuse me while I rant:
So we’ve all heard it before, the couples who “Live In Sin” before they’re married. My boyfriend and I were one such couple (much to the dismay of my family) last year. I was in college in Boston and had an apartment there with him; however because his job was in New Husband, he spent several days a week at his parents house so he didn’t have to wake up at 4am to get to work on time.
When I began having extreme health problems I had to withdraw from college, and we ended up ending our lease. Because I had to have two surgeries I needed constant care and moved back in with my Mother, and he moved back in with his parents while I recover before we search for an apartment in New Hampshire. My boyfriend is over caring for me constantly, and we are hoping to get our own apartment again in a few months. Hopefully I begin to get better and gain more mobility so I can get a job and help increase our savings (pray for me ladies, wish on a star, cross your fingers, whatever it is you feel comfortable with).
Recently my Mother has begun getting annoyed that he is over so much, and that we are getting an apartment together before marriage. She feels that not only am I “Living in Sin” but I am teaching my little sisters that it is alright. In addition she has stated that we are living like a married couple without any of the commitment of marriage.
I’m not especially religious, and although her accusations anger me and fill me with self doubt because I respect and love her- I am not going to let anyone else’s opinion rush me into marriage. My boyfriend and I know our future lies together, however I do not want to get engaged for another year. It will take that long before we can have my ring made (custom designed) and I don’t want more than 2 years between engagement and our wedding. We have a tentative date (Aug 1st, 2014) for our wedding- however we’re not announcing it until we’re sure we can afford it on our own.
I realize this is mostly just a post where I’m venting, thus it’s in the emotional section 😉 If you’ve read thus far thank you! If you want to comment on my rant feel free, but beyond that I would specifically like to know your opinions on a few topics that you may notice in my rant. Feel free to answer only a few.
1) How do you think a couple should be together before engagement? How long do you think the engagement should be? What qualities do you think a couple should posess before embarking on marriage? (I realize this is circumstancial and opinion)
2) How much does family play a role in your life? Have their opinions ever influenced you?
3) What’s your opinion on living with your partner before marriage?
4) Do you believe in waiting for a certain age, or a certain amount in the bank account before marriage?
5) Anything else you’d like to add that maybe I’ve forgotten but seems relevant?