(Closed) Living Paycheck to Paycheck and Putting $1,000 on a Credit Card – Vent.

posted 8 years ago in Money
Post # 3
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I’m sorry about your money woes.  I don’t have a problem with credit cards right now but I understand living paycheck to paycheck.  We are trying to buy a new house so a lot of our income goes to savings every month.  Leaves very little for Subway sandwiches or shirts.

Post # 4
2239 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

That sucks…I totally know where you’re coming from. BTW, did you guys try to get any estimates when you replaced the fuel pumps? I had to replace one on my truck two years ago and I’m pretty sure the parts were cheap…maybe less that 75 bucks…And some places let you use parts you buy at autozone or whatever. I know what it’s like to have an old car and it is DEFINITELY worth putting 15-20 bucks a week to the side as a ‘repair and maintenance’ fund. You will be glad you did.

Post # 6
4123 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I’ve heard REALLY excellent things about Dave Ramsey seminars… Fi and I are hoping to start one soon… we’ve had a lot of friends go through it and they love it.

http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/home/

Don’t let it get you down, just keep on making your payments :-/ s

Post # 7
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I know what you mean!  I feel so sad that I can’t buy myself fun stuff.  If I had a job it would probably be different because I could justify using some of that money for the occassional splurge but now I can’t because we need food and everything.  We aren’t looking for a house yet, we have to wait until we can sell our other house because I hate having a rental property!

Have you read Suze Orman’s Young Fabulous and Broke or Women and Money?  I love both of them!

Post # 8
1067 posts
Bumble bee

Aw! I hear you! I know where every single cent of my money goes and sometimes it get’s so stressful! All of my money goes to the savings so I feel so guilty when I buy myself something I could have done without like new clothes!

Post # 10
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I would have to second what KLP said about the Dave Ramsey series.  My FSIL just started after they finally paid off their debt.  They struggled with the “unkown” expenses because they have three kids.  They have been doing really well.  They are have already saved up enough money to attend our wedding (and even an extra day for their family at the beach).  They said it is so nice to know its paid for. 

Post # 11
523 posts
Busy bee

I know what this is like….”pay check to paycheck” is my name right now…so bad…keep chipping away at that debt..I am too…good luck!

Post # 13
2239 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Hmmm…yeah idk how much a starter is…maybe that’s the expensive part? I know last summer I spent 700 dollars in ONE weekend to put an alternator and three new tires on my fiance’s car…while we were an hour away from home headed to the beach. It was hard…considering that was almost my whole paycheck that week!

The car fund thing is a lifesaver though…you will not be sorry:D In fact…I need to get more serious about mine and keep adding to it.

And hey, don’t feel too down on yourself…When I do, I think about how tough my mom had it when she was my age (worked two jobs, my dad worked three, and still survived on pb&j every meal!) and the fact that I have a good place to live, someone I love to come home to, cable, internet, and food. Just puts things in perspective for me. And being young is the time when you struggle and are poor! Builds character!

Post # 14
1585 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Yeah…. My credit card debt is almost gone… I seriously hate credit cards and I have learned my lesson.  I can’t wait to start saving most of the $$$ that I earn and I work really hard for…

Post # 15
396 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Sorry to hear that! & I also know that Feeling! But just so you know; a fuel pump really isn’t that expensive and you should be able to change it yourselves. You might have to drop your gas tank. But its really only usually held up by two bolts and two straps. The fuel pump usually screws into the side of the tank. I had to change mine a couple months ago. It got pretty smelly messing around with gas but it only cost about $30 bucks & 2 or 3 hours…. I’d google it online for the make and moddle of the vehicle and get your hands dirty!

Post # 16
577 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

that’s a bummer … would it be possible to get a low-interest loan and pay off your credit cards?  That way you might cut down on the interest from your principal and pay off your debt faster or less per month than you are now.  Good Luck!

The topic ‘Living Paycheck to Paycheck and Putting $1,000 on a Credit Card – Vent.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors