(Closed) Living together & Engaged, what do you look forward to post-wedding?

posted 9 years ago in Relationships
Post # 3
578 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

We have been living together and have bills/house together so I really think not much will change beside seeing my mail with my new last name in the mail box and him calling me wife! Other then that it will be normal

Post # 4
512 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I think that we will be taken "more seriously" by people on our families — even though we have been together for 6 years and own a house together.  I am excited to finally call him my husband.

Post # 5
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I know what you mean.  My husband (eee so exciting calling him my husband now!) and I were together for 6 years before we got married and living together for the past two.  Things have been the same for the most part.  It seems the same as it was before but good.

Post # 6
193 posts
Blushing bee

I think this is interesting because I’m currently debating about whether to live with my fiance before the wedding. I know it’ll be just as special whether we’ve lived together before or not, but I do wonder whether things will change. Being able to call him my husband *will* be especially wonderful.  πŸ™‚

I don’t know, though. I think if you’re already engaged when you move in together, then you don’t really have time to adjust to living together before you get married, which makes it fun. On the other hand, if you’ve lived together for a long time, then getting married is a monumentous occasion, which also makes it fun. My conclusion is that it has to be great either way!

ETA: Ok, so "fun" probably isn’t the best description, but you know what I mean.  πŸ™‚

Post # 8
2725 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I was always one of those girls who said I’d never live with a guy until I was married. And I didn’t. Until I met my fiance. Moving in with him was the most natural thing. And it’s gone pretty smoothly. I officially moved in last September and there has not really been any adjusting to do. We decided on chores, bills, etc., pretty easily. And neither of us has ever lived with a SO before.

As for what I’m looking forward to after the wedding, I guess being able to call him my husband, renovating our house, and starting a family.

Post # 9
230 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Wow, great question!  First of all, I’m so happy that my FH and I moved in together before getting married, or even engaged.  Even though I’m sure that our marriage will present many challenges to us over the years, one of them won’t be getting used to living together.   However, as far as changes post-wedding go, I don’t really know what to expect.  I suppose I’ll feel a renewed sense of security.  The knowledge that I will always have my best friend to share life’s ups and downs with brings me so much happiness.  We’ve also held off on combining incomes, so I suppose that we’ll have a few financial hurdles to get through, but we already have a game plan for that.  I can’t find words to describe the changes that will occur to us emotionally, but I know that they’ll all be good!

Post # 10
6010 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

My husband and I had been together about 4.5 years when we got married.  We’d been living together for 3 years, owned a house together, and all of that.  I really didn’t think anything would change when we got married…  But it did!  Both of us just have this new sense of closeness and unity that I didn’t even think was possible.  I thought, pre-wedding, that we had the best relationship ever, but the ceremony just cemented our commitment, and now we’re 100 times happier than we ever were before.  And we were happy people to begin with! 

Post # 11
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

We lived together pre wedding. While it was good to have his support in all of the wedding planning, things were so hectic, I felt like we didn’t get to have any non wedding "us" time. After the wedding we love our weekends free of wedding planning and just being together. We don’t have the adjustment time of first living together and just enjoy each minute. Mrs. Spring is right, I didn’t think we could top our happiness before the wedding, but now it’s definitely even better!!!

Post # 13
1245 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

we don’t live together, but besides being taken more seriously i really don’t see anything changing for couple who already do.

Post # 14
440 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I love Mrs. Spring’s response above… because I was thinking that I hope nothing changes, but now I do!

We’ve been living together for 2 years, and plan on buying a house a few months pre-wedding. He even slipped up the other day and referred to me as his wife *lol* We’re already best-friends, I can’t imagine how it will get better… but if it makes us even closer, well that’s just icing on the cake!

One major change I do forsee.., instead of talking about when we’ll get married, I’m going to start talking about babies. The clock is a tickin’!  πŸ˜‰

Post # 15
3332 posts
Sugar bee

We lived together for over 2 years before we got married last month.  I really wasn’t expecting a big change, because we had already done all the day-to-day stuff of living together.  However, I do agree with Mrs. Spring, I think there’s been a great postitive feeling about our relationship that’s lasted since the wedding.  I felt great about us before the ceremony, but the wedding has strengthened our bond.  As for day-to-day stuff, I think that’s all pretty much the same.  Our money situation is the same, our chore division is the same and everything like that.  I do love referring to him as "my husband" though…as in "My husband really needs to buckle down and finish the thank you notes for his side of the family". πŸ˜‰

Post # 16
193 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

My FI and I have been living together for 2 1/2 years. We have gotten through all the bumps in the road that come with cohabitating. I don’t see that much changing once we get married in the aspects of that. I do see our future more clearly. Our careers, home, children, lifestyle, security… I’m excited for what’s to come, good, bad or ugly… I know that I’ll be with the love of my life.

The topic ‘Living together & Engaged, what do you look forward to post-wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors