- 5 years ago
- Wedding: September 2013
Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking for a little while, and now seemed like a good time to join.
For brief background, my boyfriend and I have been dating for about 3 1/2 years. We met while I was studying abroad in Tokyo. Two years later, I graduated and was able to get an English teaching job allowing me to move to Japan. Fortunately, I got a good placement really close to my boyfriend, so we’ve been able to date like normal people for about a year. Not so fortunately, his company has decided that right now is a great time to transfer him to a different city, about 5 1/2 hours away by train, or much shorter, but probably more expensive, by plane. He leaves in two weeks, and I’m locked into my contract here until July, so we’re going to have to go back to the long distance thing for a while.
Alas, this has completely ruined his surprise proposal plans. He was sneaky and stole one of my rings to get my size and had been ring hunting for a few months. His plan was to ask my parents for my hand while we were visiting my family right after Christmas, then surprise me with the ring. He still wants to talk to my parents before we get engaged, because he feels like that’s the proper way to do things, but it might not work out like that. I can request a transfer to a different placement, but I would have to make the request in November, meaning we would have to be officially engaged with a date set within the next contracting year for me to be eligible for the transfer. I’ll know for sure after a meeting with my supervisors next week, so we’ll decide where to go from there.