Post # 1
- Wedding: May 2014 - Priestley-Savidge House
So I had my trial a while ago but only had the hair section done, but she actually never finished. This time I went back to finish the trial (and get my hair dyed) because I was unsure how the end results would even look. History repeated itself with the added stress of incomplete make-up.
From what I gather, I could do a better job doing my own makeup (I know it sound so mean… but I looked like a COMPLETE clown yet I’m going for a super natural look). I still would want her there to help me as well as use her professional products, but I just would feel better if I knew what it was going to look like.
My fear is that the day of (the first time I’ll see the wedding hair & make-up actually complete) it will look less than ideal and/or there won’t be enough time to finish or modify for the desired effect.
I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever done their make-up themselves or plan to do so. If that’s the case, if you could please share your wisdom that would be greatly appreciated.
My wedding is next week and I have a thousand stresses. The core problem is that this spirals into several other issues such as appearance in pictures.
Post # 2
mariana17: how did this work out for you? Any upate?
Post # 3
I did my own makeup for my wedding, and I don’t regret it at all. In fact, I got tons of compliments on it. My advice is that I would practice your wedding look many times, so that on your wedding day it is really straight forward to create and not stressful
Post # 4
Thinking of doing my own too.
Post # 5
I did my own hair and makeup for my wedding lsat weekend, it came out great, and I have all of the makeup to do it again. rather than paying for a one time thing
you can see more picture son my recap here
hope this helps
Post # 6
- Wedding: May 2015 - Walnut Hill Bed & Breakfast
(oops. just noticed OP is probably already married…. but the tips still apply for others searching for similar threads!)
I’m doing my own. And I did a friend’s for hers – http://www.pinterest.com/pin/185210603396303272/ .
– Use a foundation without SPF or with a low SPF. Makeup 4 ever HD foundation is a favorite, especially if you don’t have bad skin. If you need more coveerage then look at Smashbox 15hr studio skin. These are expensive foundations. Go to sephora and ask for a sample! They’ll give you one for free. There’s no point in buying a $40 foundation if you’re not going to use it all the time.
– Powder – get something matte and long lasting like the rimmel stay matte powder. Avoid spf and silica based powders (they can make you look white in flash photos)
– use a makeup setting spray like the Urban Decay all nighter. they usually sell $10 mini-sizes if you don’t want to spend the money for a big one. Spray this before makeup, after foundation, and again after powder.
– use an eye shadow primer like the urban decay one. this is another thing you can probably get a sample of at sephora. If not, elf and milani make good ones at the drugstore.
– for blush and eyeshadow you can pretty much use anything you’re comfortable with. If you’ve got the primers and setting sprays applied then any brand should stay put. Pick neutral/natural colors and experiment. Practice.
– wear fake eye lashes. individual or strips. Ardell is a good brand. Duo and revlon make good glue. Don’t get rediciulous ones. Just natural looking ones. You might need someone to help you put these on.
– use a waterproof mascara on your lowers and to ‘blend’ your uppers with the fakes. I’ve gone swimming in the maybelline the rocket volume waterproof one. it’s good.
– use long lasting eyeliners and don’t go overboard with it! if you use a pencil liner then go over it with a matching eye shadow. the powder will help it stick.
– practice beforehand. watch tutorials. stay calm. photograph your practices to see how it looks.
Post # 7
CG4268: Your makeup is gorgeous! What products did you use?
Post # 8
memorieslff: This is from the best of my memory . I am at work and I do not have the products on me.
- Cleaned by Face with Avenno Ultra calming Cleanser
- Moisturized with Clinque Dramatically Different Plus
- NYX pore filler
- Nyx photo loving primer
- Sephora 10 hr perfection foundation in Shade 30
- Coastal Scents Camoflague Pallette
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit (As contour & setting powder)
- Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in Fresh Pink
- The Balm Mary Louminizer the highlighter
- Sephora Collection Eye Shadow Palette– not sure of the name
- Coastal Scents Revealed Palette (dupe of Urban Decay Naked)
- Falsies- Ardell Demi Wispies
- duo clear Eyelash Glue
- Wet n Wild Ultimate Eye Brow Kit in Ash Brown
- NYX Natural Matte Lipstick
- Maybelline Falsies Waterproof Mascara in Brown Black
- Wet n Wild Lip Line in a Nudeish Color
- Skindinavia Bridal Finish Setting Spray
I also purchased the Coastal Scents 22 piece professional Brush kit to do my makeup with
I practiced about 10 times before my wedding day to get it down. It was easy and stress free for me on my wedding day. Like i said my makeup lasted my entire wedding day with no touch ups
Night photos taken with flash had no shine and no flash back with any of the makeup I wore.
Post # 9
I also want to note that I had enough time to do my make up relaxed as I had practiced several times that I even had enough time to do my mother’s makeup the day of my wedding too Since we used the same makeup foundation shade. It was a special treat for her since she was able to have the all star treatment too
Post # 10
- Wedding: June 2012 - Centro de recepciones Los Incas
mariana17: i got mine professionally done, i can do my own make up but as a model i can tell u pros usually do a better job….like i wont even work with a photographer for my book unless he supplies a makeup artist…. maybe you can explan to her that you want a more natural look . one time with some pro photos the makeup artist really over did it…it was way too much….so i told her to tone it down. she said she was going with tones that went with the designers colors but much like u said i looked like a clown…. i also had a makeup artist underdo my makeup once for engagement pics……….so i would just have a pro do it but explain exactly what u want or bring a picture of someone that has itthe way you want…. also, you could tell the salon you want another makeup girl that you dont like her work, im sure they will change for u
ref pics: selfie taken after a photo shoot where the makeup artist over did it
and engagement pic wear the makeup just wasnt enough
and teh 3rd pic my makeup from my wedding which was pro also and i explained to her that i wanted a natural look with sandy tones that still made my eyes pophere i attached one from the wedding with the eyes open and one with them closed so you can see the make up hope this helps!
Post # 11
mariana17: i had my sister do my make up for me. i wanted to look natural. i dont usually pile on make up anyways. when i do its dark and smoky,, which wasnt the look i wanted for my wedding. I also didnt want to look like a clown. ive had my makeup done pro like before and hated it. the picture from that night looked wonderfull but i felt like a whore lol all night. so i went for a more natural look. i actually didnt practice my make up. i just winged it. there was def enough time to do it. i got married at 3Pm so i had the morning to work on a lot of last min things. just remember he knows what you look like and love you no matter what. im sure whatever you do will look amazing!
Post # 12
CG4268: Impressive memory! Thanks! Did you use an eyeliner?
Post # 13
memorieslff: Nope. I don’t normally wear eyeliner and I dont think it added to my day of look any which I had added it during the trials since I was using false eyelashes
Post # 14
amberback: Great info! I too, am planning on doing my own make-up as I know what looks good and have most of the products that you mentioned. For powder, I read some reviews and will use Ben Nye powder in Banana – it’s the only silica free powder that brand has.
I love neutrals and will using UD Naked2 for my eye make-up. Iusually only wear it on weekends for a heavier look, so it will look great for my wedding day.
I’m only relaly nervous about the make-up on my lower lashes as some days it’s great, and other days not so great. I tend to use Rimmel Exxagerate eyeliner and then a mascara on the lashes. Upper lash line will be Benefit They’re Real liner – love it!
I also have been getting lash extensions, and will be having a fill done the Wednesday before the wedding. They’re great!