(Closed) make up trial to learn & buy, then DIY on the day?

posted 7 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
299 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’m not married yet so I haven’t done my makeup for the big day, but at this point I’m definitely considering it. I have been buying a lot of new makeup lately and experimenting. I think you just need to practice, practice, practice! (and I’ve learned that a good primer goes a long way!)

I love watching youtube videos and reading tutorials for how to do different techniques!

Check out http://makeupbytiffanyd.blogspot.com/ she has a lot of different tutorials and videos, along with makeup suggestions.

Hiring someone to teach you would be a good idea if you don’t want to spend all the time trial and error like I’m doing.

Post # 4
743 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Have you every used Mary Kay? (I am not a sales person, so I am not trying to push it).  If you find your local Mary Kay consultant, she can give you a “make-up” party – where she will teach you how to properly apply your own make-up (for free, usually).  This way, you are doing it yourself, so you will know what to do on the day.  

Obviously, the consultant would want you to buy the make-up afterwards, but it sounds like you would want to do that anyway so you have the make-up in Jamaica.   

I am not married yet, so I can’t share a good/bad experience about the big day, but I plan on just buying new make-up and applying it myself.  In the past, when I have paid for make-up as a BM, I find that I am sitting there thinking “I could have done this myself for a lot cheaper.”

Post # 5
228 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I am also thinking of doing this. I’ve started buying some new products and trying them out. I wouldn’t want to do anything too much more dramatic than my everyday look, so it makes sense to me. Primer was next on my list to research!

Post # 7
443 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

That is what I did.  I had 2 mu trials @ Bobbi Brown, bought what I needed and got samples of some items @ Sephora and did my own on the day of.  About a month out, I started doing my own trials and took pics to narrow in on the look bc the m/u will need to be heavier than u are probably used to wearing to photograph well.  I tried out/photographed probably 5 different foundations, maybe 15 lipsticks before I settled on the final look (the eye shadow/blush I was pretty happy with from the beginning).  It was alot of trial & error…Definately recommend false lashes 🙂  The difference is unbelievable in how much they open up your eyes and make you look more awake.

Post # 8
1498 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I will be going to the Clinique counter to have them glam up my daily look and then I will recreate it on my wedding day.  I’m already pretty good with getting my foundation to stay all day (thanks to Miss Rainbow’s advice), and I already love the colors I use on my cheeks, I’ll just be looking for eyes and lips.  I’ve never liked it when people have done my makeup for other events, and I don’t want to fool with it on my wedding day.

Post # 9
5921 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I don’t know if this helps, but Macy’s/Clinique are having a special wedding party day on Thursday.  They do your make-up, and give you some goodies.  I got a card in the mail about it last week 🙂

Post # 10
1892 posts
Buzzing bee

Check our Sephora. They can help you get the right products and show you how to use them for the look you want.

This is what I did. I told them I wanted something subtle since I don’t wear make-up and they spent a lot of time with me explaining which brushes to use and how to layer the eyeshadow to get the right look. I left confident that I could do this myself. However, I didn’t write everything down so by the time the wedding came around I wasn’t sure what I was doing lol Luckily one of my friends is great with make-up and saved the day. She actaully asked if she could do my make-up and ended doing my make-up just like they did at Sephora.

Some Tips: Take a notepad and write down what they say. They should write down the brand and number of the products they used for you. Sometimes they will give you samples (which might be all you need). Also don’t feel like you have to buy everything from them or at once. You can always just go and get their suggestions and then shop around for the best price on make-up. Sometimes you can find it cheaper at like QVC or something which sells most of the same brands.

Post # 11
1991 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Although I’ll be having a MA the day of, if I didn’t, I still know how to do my own makeup. I learned how to do makeup through watching Youtube tutorials from various makeup artists on there.

You could type in almost any look that you would be going for and somebody has done it.

Good luck!

Post # 13
443 posts
Helper bee

you’re a beach bride!  Me too (or was, got married on 10/13).  Definately a good primer-Sephora has a great selection and you can get a sample and if you like it, you can just use the sample & save the $ for something else 🙂  I used Make Up Forever Mat Velvet Foundation from Sephora (again, used a sample & didn’t cost a thing!)  and Make Up Forever Duo Mat Powder to set.  This is a great combo for the heat and humidity (it’s what the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders use too!).  I used MUFE HD Foundation (sample) for our Trash the Dress session the next morning bc it still gives good coverage but is more of a natural look.

Post # 14
509 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’m definitely thinking about it. i’ll check out the two major drug stores- Shoppers Drug Mart and Lawton’s, as well as the makeup counters at Sears and the Bay to see what my options are. The only thing is I’ve never been any good at putting makeup near my eye, and this will be one day I’ll want to be sure my eyes show up.

Post # 15
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I did it. My eye makeup was from Clinique (which I always use) and my foundation/powder is Bare Escentuals. I knew I was going to do my own makeup after I didn’t LOVE any of the trials I did, so I just picked up some pointers when they did my makeup!

Post # 16
11 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@Smashley: wow it came out great! Im a MUA and i was nervous with some of the suggestion but you totally nailed your makeup!

The topic ‘make up trial to learn & buy, then DIY on the day?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors