(Closed) Marriage & Period Delima

posted 9 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

I’m so sorry you’re stressing and in such pain.  It seems like you have two things going on (and correct me if I’m wrong): 1) the period/contraception issue, and 2) being nervous about your wedding.

Have you tried to use condoms before, and you just didn’t like them?  I’m confused because I think you said you’re a virgin.  If you don’t like condoms, then I would talk to a doctor about birth control.  I do think that you need to be on some sort of contraceptive for a full cycle before it’s effective – but I’m definitely not a doctor, so I would check with your gynecologist.

As for being nervous about getting married… I think it’s totally normal to be nervous and stressed because of all the planning that goes into a marriage and what it actually means.  However, if it’s causing you pain, then maybe you should speak to someone about it. 

Good luck, and take deep breaths!  I always found a glass of wine, good music and a good cry helped me get over a lot of stress!  

Post # 4
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

First things first, try and calm down. It sounds like you have a lot of changes coming up in short time and believe me, I know how scary that can be. Try to focus on the fact that these are positive changes, you get to marry the man you love and I am sure that you will still be able to have a good relationship with your parents.

I may be understanding your post wrong, but if you have your period now and it is two weeks before the wedding, it should be over before the wedding so it shouldn’t be a problem. If you are just looking for advice about birth control after the wedding then you should definately ask your doctor. They can help you figure out what method will work best. I take a pill called Demulen but the reason this one was prescribed for me was because I have problems with anemia so something else may be better for you. While condoms are not the same, the experience can still be made pleasurable.  

Post # 5
792 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Oh no! you sound so stressed out. First of all welcome to the hive! It seems as though there are a lot of issues you are dealing with right now and I understand how overwhelming things can be. Take a few deep breaths, it’s all going to to be OK! Loosing your virginity getting married and moving out of your parents home is a big deal so I understand you are worried. I think you’re FI is right and at least for the immediate future you may need to use condoms. I’ve been on all sorts of BC and although condoms may not be totally ideal, that’s what we use now, and believe me, it is still very pleasurable. It usually takes about a month for the pill to become effective, so if you’re trying to avoid pregnancy definitely buy yourself so rubbers! Hormonal BC can be tricky, but lots of women don’t have any problems with it once they’ve found a pill that works for them. I would talk to your primary care provider or your Ob/Gyn about your options if that’s the route you want to take. When things get tough and remember all the reasons that you’ve decided to marry your FH and remember that communication is key! If you’re stressed out about all of this, talk to him! He’s probably got a lot going through his mind right now too, and I’ve found just sitting down over a glass of wine or two (if that’s your thing) and talking about your hopes and fears can be a wonderful bonding experience. All in all, just remember to be gentle with yourself. Do something that makes you happy and will help you relax. I like to take hot baths and read a good book myself. Hang in there!

Post # 6
792 posts
Busy bee

Yikes, I just read that over and noticed a ton of grammatical errors, I hope it still makes sense. Good luck and we’re all here for you!

Post # 7
54 posts
Worker bee

First of all, while condoms aren’t the most fun thing ever you can still have a great time and it will eliminate stress about getting pregnant.  Secondly, I was under the impression that it only takes 7 days for the pill to become effective for birth control (I am not a doctor either).  Also, in my case the pill regulated my period within 2 days.  However, I’ve heard some people who’ve had cramping and nausea after starting the pill which may take time to adjust to. 

With only 2 weeks until your wedding, I wouldn’t want to try a hormonal BC method if I didn’t know how my body would react to it.  Go with condoms in my opinion.  You have the rest of your life to try other methods of BC.  

Post # 8
898 posts
Busy bee

I would go with condoms. Everyone’s body is different and who knows how long it will take for a pill to regulate you. It took me about 3 years to find the right pill. But for others, it obviously works quickly.

Post # 9
999 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2010 - Mr. P's Grandparents’ Ranch

I think the best thing to do IF you rather go for the pills is just visit your doctor first, usually they need exams (That’s what they ask me because my period wasn’t regular either) and with those in hands they can prescript the best one for you. There are so many out there that I’m sure there’s one that won’t make you go through all those side effects you don’t want 🙂

About how your feeling I’m not sure if I can give you any advice, I have plenty of time to go before I can understand how you feel, but try to relax and just enjoy… This is supposed to be the best day of your life 🙂

Post # 10
1 posts
Wannabee

I’m 2 weeks from getting married now myself and I’m considering the pill. For me, the main reason is that I’m worried I’ll get my period and it will either ruin the wedding or the honeymoon. Ever since I came off marvelon 8 months ago I’ve been breaking out and having terrible cramps.

As for birth control, I know what they always say but honestly my fiancee has been pulling out for almost a year now and I haven’t gotten pregnant. I don’t think your husband-to-be would mind if you asked him… I think in a way guys kinda like it! hehe

If you’ve ever been on the pill before, go with what you know your body reacts well with. If not, it’s a dice toss. Nausea and side effects like that, in my opinion, are nowhere near as bad as CRAMPS!

Hope that helps!

xo Much Love,

Bridezilla

Post # 11
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

I would not rely on a withdrawl method for effective birth control.  It is one of the least effective methods because the pre-ejaculate fluid can have sperm in it.  Over time, the method is pretty much ineffective unless coupled with natural family planning.

You seem so nervous and stressed right now.  Do you feel ready for sex?  Have you met with your Ob-gyn to discuss the process?  The first time can be uncomfortable, and there are many suggestions for you about how to cope with this issue and it might make you feel less overwhelmed with your wedding.

Condoms are an extremely effective method when used correctly and can actually be helpful in cases like a first time where there may be some overexcitement.

Please search for some of the waiting to have sex posts to get some good pointers regarding your first time.

*** I just saw that this was 3 weeks old.  Hopefully everything went ok and my advice might help someone else in a similar situation***

Post # 12
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I am not sure that the pill goes into effect after only taking it for 2 weeks… I think you’re supposed to take an alternate method with it your first month in fact. I would definitely see your doctor. I don’t understand why you’re in so much pain… is this your first period and you’re cramping or something?

Post # 13
524 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

The pill is effective within seven days of starting it if you start it immediately or within a few days of your period.  It DOES NOT take a month.  If you can’t start it the week of your period, it will definitely be effective within two weeks.

The pill never gave me headaches or side effects.  And keep in mind that if it does bother you, you can stop it immediately, switch back to condoms, and the hormones (and thus side effects) will be completely gone from your body within a few days.

Post # 14
359 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Isn’t the Nuvaring effective right away? I can’t remember.

Post # 15
2820 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

If your wedding is in two weeks, you’re going to need back-up contraceptive. You should be on the Pill for at least a month (if not two or more) before you can trust it as your sole method of contraception.

*HUGS* I’m sorry that it’s stressful for you right now.

I use Tricyclin Lo, and it works fairly well for me. But I’d stock up on condoms and/or spermicide as well as the Pill if I were you.

Post # 16
2820 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

@LizCailen & chicagobride092010: While it may only take a week for the Pill to kick in and start changing the hormonal balances in your body, that alone does not mean that it will be at its usual level of effectiveness (99.8% IF taken consistently at the same time every day). It takes some time before it can truly regulate the levels of hormones in your body during each cycle, and override your body’s natural tendencies. Also, if you don’t start it when you’re supposed to (usually on the first day of your period — although some doctors recommend you use a later-day start method), it will almost definitely not be effective right away.

The topic ‘Marriage & Period Delima’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors