Post # 1
Darling Husband and I are mattress shopping and it’s a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be. So many different brands and terms! So out of the major brands, serta, beautyrest, sealy etc..what do you have?? We think we have it narrowed down but just wanted to see! We like this beautyrest one the best so far but I don’t know much about them. Thanks!
Post # 3
I have a Sealy ultra-plush pillow top….it’s HEAVEN! Good luck!! I was able to get a great deal by purchasing through a Sleepy’s Clearance Center.
Post # 4
I think we have a serta, we are needing to buy another mattress for our guest room before Christmas!
Post # 5
We have a tempur pedic.. Honestly, not worth all the hype.
Post # 6
I used to work in bedding a few years ago so I know a bit about mattresses. I would forget about the brands for now and work out what you want for a mattress.
1. How do you sleep? Side, back or stomach?
2. Is partner disturbance an issue for you?
3. What sort of feel are you after- firm, medium, plush?
4. Will you be buying an ensemble or putting the mattress on a base? If on a base, what type of base will it be?
5. Do you get hot when you sleep?
6. What type of bed do you have at the moment?
If you can answer those questions, I’ll try my best to help
Post # 7
1.)I usually end up on my stomach…I know that’s horrible!
2.) Not really
3.) I would say medium
4.) We would be buying a bed frame with it
5.) Yes I do!
6.) We have a super old mattress, it’s a queen but it’s around 20 years old.
Hope this helps and thank YOU for your help 🙂
Post # 8
Its going to sound strange, but I have a Vera Wang mattress, its insanely comfortable!
But I don’t suggest taking other people’s opinion on mattresses, it really comes down to what personally is comfortable for you and how you sleep.
Post # 9
Mattress shopping is hell. We spent a bunch of time shopping in March, bought one, and Fiance isn’t very happy with it – 7 months later. I like it, but I’m pretty easy on beds. Funny enough, the only one I don’t really like is his old full size one (which is what I’m sleeping on at my grandma’s), you can totally feel springs in it! And he loved it… I’m not sure we’ll ever find a perfect mattress.
BUT, I wanted to put in a plug for JCPenney. We bought it there and their return policy is AWESOME. They will take it back, even now, if Fiance isn’t happy with it. We just have to call them, they’ll arrange the swap. Their customer service is very impressive, and if you open a JCP card, you can save quite a bit (I want to say it was 20%??) on the mattress.
We have a Serta iComfort. I like it. Fiance isn’t super happy with it, he’s a back sleeper. I’m a side/rolling forward into a pillow sleeper. He says his butt sinks down too deep while is back doesn’t and it makes his lower back hurt.
If we swap it, I think we were looking at one of the higher end Foster & Stearns coil mattresses with a latex pillowtop on it.
Post # 10
We just bought a new mattress. We had no idea what kind to buy. We started out at Sleep number but once we found out we had the same sleep number, we decided to get a traditional mattress. We also didn’t like the price and warranty on the sleep number beds.
We went to Sleepy’s and the sales consultant was very helpful. Based on our computer evaluation, she picked mattresses for us to try in a variety of price ranges. We spent a lot of time trying them out and picked the one we liked the best that was in our price range. We absolutely love it! A Beautyrest pillow top that is like sleeping on a cloud- but still offers support.
Post # 11
@FutureMrs86: Ok, this going to be general advice.
1. Stomach sleepers tend to like medium to firm beds. This is because when the bed is too soft, the heaviest part of the body (hips) tends to sink too much, which does not allow your back to rest in its natural curvature.
2. A normal innersprung mattress should be fine for you. A lot of sales people will try and sell you the pocketsprings, which generally cost more.
3. You’ve answered that question yourself so try atleast 3 medium feel mattresses for 20 minutes each.
4. if you’re going with a bed frame, I would not recommend Sealy. Their mattresses are designed to go with their sprung base. The mattress will feel firmer on a bed base compared to on an ensemble. I personally find sealy’s uncomfortable unless you go for the super expensive top end (my ex bf paid $15000 for his bed!)
5. Most mattresses these days have a pillowtop. These pillowtops generally comprise of latex and/or memory foam (aka visco-elastic). Make sure that the latex and/or memory foam is open cell- this allows for the air to circulate. Generally speaking the softer the mattress, the hotter it will be- this is because you will have more contact with the mattress. Sales people might and sell you a “gel” mattress because of the cooling properties. I wouldn’t recommend it because to me, they don’t provide enough support. Also, look for mattresses that have wool in it, they keep you cool in summer and warm in winter.
6. I think any mattress would be an upgrade. Haha
So to conclude, I would recommend an inner sprung mattress, medium feel, with a pillow top comprised of wool/ open cell latex and or memory foam/visco-elastic.
I hope that helps. Feel free to ask me more questions.
Post # 12
i just bought a serta icomfort in august. we also purchased the “ergonomic” box which means we can move it around and it has massage built in. ohhh it’s so comfy!
Post # 13
@babecake: Thank you so much!! I didn’t realize that it was going to be this difficult but when I thought about it, it is a super important purchase!
Thank you all! All of your advice helped a lot!
Post # 14
We have a Vera Wang mattress (I think Serta makes it? sorry been a while) and we absolutely love it. A king size bed was the best decision ever lol.
Post # 15
Fiance and I just went thru the whole mattress shopping process. It was HELL and we must have laid on a hundred different beds but we finally found one we both love. We finally found a great sales rep who really worked with us and listened to our needs and that was the key. Fiance prefers a firm bed and I prefer softer so we got the firmer mattress with a pillowtop. We put it on layaway and are getting it delivered after our wedding (so in 2 weeks ahhh) We got the Black Beauty by Sealy (I think its Sealey). You location says WNY so I’m assuming NY, we went to Raymour and Flannigans.
I cannot wait for it to get delivered!
Post # 16
@Westwood: We are debating on getting a king or not. Considering a queen would be an upgrade for us at thsi point I think that’s the direction we are going in. However, we had a california king in our honeymoon suite and we both loved the room! lol So we will see!