May 2017, we've got only a few months left!

posted 2 months ago in May 2017
Post # 2
1340 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

Hey! I’m at 89 days apparently.  Most everything I can do right now is done, and I get my dress back from alterations next week. Just need to do the seating chart once RSVPs are in.  People have flights booked which freaks me out, but other than that no stress.  My mom is having fun doing weird DIY things, so that keeps her happy and occupied.  I’m enjoying planning the honeymoon 🙂

You did remind me that I don’t have any accessories, so I’ll get on that, thanks!

Post # 4
62 posts
Worker bee

I’ve not written on here in a while but I thought I would give some updates – I can laugh now, but at the time – not so much.

We had a bit of drama with our florist, she was flakey from the beginning but the price was good and her flowers looked lovely. She was more or less impossible to get hold of from the beginning – i’m talking 3/4/5 weeks to reply to emails, never answered her phone… scary stuff. But every time I have been able to get hold of her in the last year or so since I booked her, she has been adamant that everything is fine, she just focuses on the next wedding at the time, so she probably wouldn’t speak to me much until Feb of this year. Fine, I thought, except she had promised me a flower mock up included in my flower price, of an example of my wedding flowers in May 2016 (so I could see what my centre pieces would look like using flowers from the same month…) she told me she would contact me in April 2016 and book me in to see my mock up in May. Well, April came and went, as did May, June and July without hearing anything from her. I got fed up and called, multiple times in July, no response. I emailed in August, no response… for 3 weeks!! (Her excuse, sorry been really busy with weddings)!! Terrible, concerning but yet a persisted. So my mum gets involved, starts hunting this woman down, eventually gets a hold of her on the phone and demands my mock up (which she promised, i wouldn’t have even cared about one, but if you promise someone something and don’t follow through…. not good!) So, after trying to convince us there were no peonies (I could literallty see them on her instagram) we eventually pinned her down to a mock up in October. Fab. So, i go to my mock up, make some changes (none of which she wrote down) and also asked for some extra things. She promises to send over a quote to us in the next couple of weeks. We hear nothing. We email in January, trying to get her to send over the quote. Ignored. We call, land line is disconnected. Tried mobile phone, call failed. My fiance eventually goes to her unit and shes no where to be found, no sign on the door. Nothing. So he sees a woman who works in the unit behind and asks if she’d seen our florist. “Not for a few weeks” she says,”I think shes on holiday.” Brilliant. So this woman has gone on holiday at the start of Feb, and told NO ONE. So for 3 weeks we tried to get hold of her, checked her social media, got no out of office from her emails, no “I’m on holiday” message on her voicemail… Concerning. IS she on holiday?? So we send an email, I’ve had enough, screw my deposit. My fiance tells her this is enough, we have tried our best but this is too stressful and we have no choice but to find someone else. She never gave us our quote, she never picked up her phone, she promised to contact me in Feb 2017 to confirm details of my day, but I never heard. Just terrible. So he sends the email, basically thanks for all the stress, bye forever. And surprise surprise, an email back within minutes. From a woman we’d never heard of before, who is meant to be keeping things ticking over while this woman is gone, essentially the person who has been ignoring our emails and calls for the past month. She basically says “Ok thanks for letting us know you cancelled, I’ll tell boss lady. Bye”. No “sorry” nothing. Well, good. That has made my decision even easier… except then I assume she manages to get hold of the main flower lady, who had FREAKED out that we cancelled (all the way from her perpetual holiday) and demands we call her… NOPE. She can call me, I’m not doing any more chasing. Then we get some hysterical email from her (super unprofessional) going on about someone was meant to look after it, she hasn’t got any emails from us, her phone works fine, blahblahblah, basically trying to blame us. Noway Jose, i’m done. SO, we let her have her email freak out, and left her to it. She gave me months of stress, didn’t care about my worried emails, didn’t answer her phone, didn’t send my quote, didn’t follow up to confirm my wedding details when she promised she would, AND didn’t even tell anyone she was going on a month long holiday. So, now she knows how it feels to be worried and upset, and have the person on the other end completely ignore you.

We found a new flower lady and she is an angel!

In other news, no sign of my dress. Ordered it in May 2016, and they said it would be in this month. Well, this month is over today and they still don’t have it. I’m trying to stay chill… but with 9 weeks to go (and one weekend being my hen do) I really need my dress to come in soon so I can get my alterations done. be zen, be zen……

Other than that though, things are going well. (I think!!!)

Has anyone else had a nightmare with anything? xx

Post # 5
1340 posts
Bumble bee

srb26 :  wow what a nightmare! And I hope your dress comes in asap, that’s a long time.

Nothing major for me. My venue is going through a renovation – adding bathrooms and a kitchen. So it’s nice that we don’t have to coordinate bathroom rentals and the caterer doesn’t have to bring a mobile kitchen, but as with most renos it’s been delayed.  My planner has clients in there the first weekend of April which will be the first event after it’s done. If I was them I’d be freaking out right now, but we should be ok (May 27th).  I’m told if it’s not finished they will handle the rentals for us and give us a discount, but I’d prefer real bathrooms!

Post # 6
1004 posts
Bumble bee

srb26 :  damn that sounds stressful.

Ours is Friday May 26, and damn time flies. The checklist gets longer and longer lol. We’re doing a memory box ceremony and bought our wine yesterday :p hope it ages well (according the the wine store people it does). Invitations will be out in 1-2 weeks, can’t wait! Had my first dress fitting but the shoes I chose didn’t work out and I nearly gave up before I discovered the mint colored mimosa heels by Rachel Simpson. They’re perfect. I painted my veil similar to the sonnet veil in BHLDN, but I’m nervous it won’t look good with the dress, I’ll find out this weekend.

Post # 7
269 posts
Helper bee

srb26 :  wow!! You have patience.  Don’t worry your dress will come in.

67 days to go for me… First fitting is April 2nd, so stoked, they only need a week at most to alter your dress, don’t worry about it.

Sent invitations today, had my Shower on Sunday (sooooo much fun).  Looking forward to the wedding.

Have to do seating chart and decorate the house.  Family ready bought plane tickets!!! I just can’t wait to marry my best friend.

Post # 8
12 posts
Newbee

sweetblessings56 :  Are you 5.6.17 too?! I’m dropping my invites in the mail tomorrow! Reality hasn’t fully hit me quite yet, but I have a feeling seeing the response cards come in will! Congratulations to all!

Post # 9
358 posts
Helper bee

I’m May 27th! 

Ive had TONS of nightmares. My mom who gifted the money for the wedding to me and my fiancé, got into a fight with me over the summer and took the money back. We’ve fixed things but our relationship is still rocky at some points. My dad passed away almost two years ago, so she’s my only parent left. So that’s been hard. 

Every cake person I’ve had has fallen through. One woman I met with in October of 2016 didn’t get back to me for a proposal until last month. I haven’t picked music because my DJ has everything online and he hasn’t given me any of the info I need to log in. And he usually doesn’t contact any of his brides until the month of. So that’s been kind of stressful. The biggest stessor happened the beginning of January when my hotel (it’s right across the street from my venue and it matches my theme which is vintage. So it’s perfect!) double booked and canceled my reservations. When I booked you have to put down a credit card. Which I did for the Bridal suite, my mom’s room, and my grandparents room. I had texted my future MIL and SIL if they wanted rooms and MIL texted back her card info so I booked those rooms. Well, over the summer I went with MIL to add another room that was put under her name. Fast forward to January and I get a call that I needed a card on the reservation. Which created a huge confusion because I had already done that. Mind you, I booked those rooms in January 2016. So a whole year ago. They told me I didn’t have the Bridal suite. That they had another Bridal party there for a wedding that’s at the hotel. 

Total freak out mode. Four months before my wedding and you don’t have any records of my reservations? Sketchy. They also had my MIL’s reservations, but not mine  

So, I had a pic of the paperwork and the manager called me and spoke to me and said that she needed something with a time and date stamp. So we found the text messages and once I got home I found the paperwork and it had every reservation and it was time and date stamped. 

What they think happened is that this bride’s coordinator (they have two at the hotel) went in and canceled my reservation. And then moved the one we got over the summer in my name, so it was like I had a reservation. (This is what the manager had told me about what happened) The hotel tried to offer me a bayfront house and that they would pay half, but it wasn’t what I wanted. I wanted what I originally reserved. The kicker? That bride came in and reserved her rooms two weeks after I booked. I’m not sure how it turned out for the other bride, but I got all of the reservations back. And if that is what happened, I hope that that coordinator is fired, honestly. 

My cousin who’s a BM told me that she’s 4 months pregnant, and that she knew when she ordered her gown, but didn’t change her gown size. She’ll be 7 months by the time of the wedding, so I hope we can figure something out. I’ve told her that I’m comfortable with whatever she wants to do, if she wants to be in the wedding or not. But it just stresses me out a bit because her response was that she wants to be in it, but she may change her mind later. Which is super vague, and I need to know soon, you know? I love her to death, and I want her to be in the wedding but I want what’s best for her. 

After ALL of that, we just have to get all the suits for the guys, favors, and sparklers, and our rings.  So it’s coming together. I’m so ready for it to be over with! I thought I would love planning, but I’ve hated it. 

Post # 10
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2017 - the garden house, seattle

May 13th. I just got home from my first alterations appointment. We just got our first RSVPs – I think I squeed a bit. We have a fair number of out-of-town guests, and it’s a little unreal that people are buying plane tickets to come here for the wedding. 

There’s so much left to do. Also, I’ve got to go to a work conference at the beginning of May, and after we set the wedding date I found out I had gotten the conference dates wrong. That’s why I’m going to be out of town the Sunday through Wednesday before the wedding. 

It’s weird, because on the one hand, the major stuff feels pretty under control, but if I think too hard I realize there are a million details flying around in my head in a bit of a panic.

We just got a day-of timeline last weekend because my project-manager bridesmaid sat us down and made us come up with one. There’s still decor stuff to buy and figure out, and we haven’t decided if we need entertainment during the reception, which is an evening champagne and hors d’oeuvres event. Sara, the bridesmaid, is convincing me that we need programs now. I’m about to book makeup and hair and I think I want to wear my black docs with the pink plaid lining and ribbon ties, but I can’t find one of them. 

I am so lucky I haven’t had to deal with anything as bad as the flaky florist or the hotel nightmare, though!

Post # 11
342 posts
Helper bee

Congrats ladies! I am glad I will be in good company in the beautiful month of May 🙂

May 4th

Target registry just informed me that we are 42 days away and caused a mini panic attack. haha

I finally pinned down what I am going to do for a guest book today. So I can get the ball rolling on that. 

I picked up FI’s ring last night. It is amazing, I hope he likes it. (He wanted it to be a surprise)

My mom is out shopping for unique decor items while I sit at work and think about the huge list of things I still need to do. I have the best mom ever.

Post # 12
9 posts
Newbee

May 20th here and 51 days away!

Since planning a year ago, it’s pretty much been smooth sailing. We picked a venue with a wonderful package that included a florist, bakery and DJ so I didn’t have to scramble to find all of my vendors. Now it’s getting stressful due to confirming everything planned, ordering decor details and the dreaded seating chart!

Unfortunately, I’m going through some drama with one of my bridesmaids who has not been helpful/argumentative throughout the process according to my MOH. The current dilemma is my shower is this Sunday and there was an issue with the invitations not getting to all the guests I wanted to invite due to them being addressed in the Disney font (cute in theory, but hard to read for the post office). I politely asked them as a group if they could contact the guests that haven’t RSVP’d because I’ve been getting messages from family and other friends that they never got one. The troublesome BM replied with an attitude that its last minute and that she “doesn’t know anyone on the list so she can’t help”, yet the others were apologetic for choosing that font and would figure out who didn’t get one. I privately messages the BM saying that I didn’t appreciate her comment and that not all of the BMs (there’s 4 including my MOH) know everyone on my guest list and that’s why I asked them to contact who they know OR ask my FI for their contact info. That spiraled into questioning our friendship and how everyone’s talking bad about her aka “poor her”. I’m trying my best to resolve things with her but it’s tough.

Hopefully you guys aren’t having BM drama and congrats to you all!

Post # 13
2089 posts
Buzzing bee

Dude I’m in the 30s and it still doesn’t feel real! When will it feel real? It still feels like this abstract Thing in my future. Having my shower and bachelorette def got me more excited but the wedding itself still seems like this far off shadowy thing, not an actual event that is planned and will be happening in just over a month. fuck!

The only big thing left on our to do list is writing the ceremony/vows. And then I guess the seating chart once all the rsvp’s come in. 

Post # 14
342 posts
Helper bee

1 month from today! I am getting nervous (in a good way)

I finally found a dress that I am excited about last week. Tonight I am going shoe shopping. Wish me luck!

tiffanybruiser :  today is the day it became real for me. Not sure why, but something about the “1 month away” mark did it.

Post # 15
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2017 - the garden house, seattle

hobbitses :  yesterday was our one-month mark, and yeah, things have gotten real really fast. today i realized i had spaced on getting a banquet permit for the reception – what else am i forgetting?!?

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors