Post # 1
Hi guys, I just thought it would be nice to see who else on the bee is in med school. If you have a free minute, please answer the following questions:
1) Country in which you’re studying medicine
2) Year of med school (and number of years in program)
3) Future specialties in which you’re interested
4) Would you do it again? Med school that is.
Country: New Zealand
Current year: Year 5 of a 6-year program
Possible future specialties: Radiology, anaesthesiology, or general practice/family medicine
Would you do it again? Honestly, I really don’t know! There are some parts of med school that I love, and some that I absolutely hate. I like to think I’d do it again, as there are so many things that you can do with a medical degree, however if I had to start all over again then other options I would seriously consider would be pharmacy and sonography.
Post # 3
@JulietFoxtrot: Hey – not a med student here, but just clicked onto a different thread a second after reading this one and the OP has stated that she’s a med student! Linking in case you choose to get in touch with her:
Post # 3
1) Country in which you’re studying medicine Ireland
2) Year of med school (and number of years in program) 3 out of 4
3) Future specialties in which you’re interested OBS/GYN or GP.
4) Would you do it again? Med school that is. Not a snowballs chance in hell. I would have either just gone into nursing or midwifery straight out of high school or kept my cushy office job I had throughout high school and undergrad.
Post # 4
Hi fellow med bees! How crazy are we to get married during med school? As if we weren’t busy enough! 😛
Current year: Year 3/4 graduate program
Possible future specialties: Emergency, GP, Anaesthetics
Would you do it again? Some days yes, some days no! Despite being in the midst of exams (last one is tomorrow!), today is a yes. I completed a psychology degree to meet grad entry requirements and it was a long road to get in, but I did and remind myself of how much I wanted it. And what a privilege it is, don’t you think? I get down some days because of the pressure and sacrifices, but having seen the other side (previously worked in psych field), the grass isn’t greener.
Post # 5
Haven’t been a med student for nearly 6 years now, but I thought I’d stop by.
Country – Studied in Ireland, worked there for 3 years, then got the hell out! Moved to Oz, far superior working conditions!
Year – Nearly 6 years post graduation 🙂
Specialty – Medicine (gen med at present)
Would I Do it again? – Hmmm, yes and no. Medicine is the best and worst job in the world. I’ve had both amazing and terrible experiences, but at least I can say that it wasn’t boring! I’ve got some pretty interesting stories out of it at the very least. Plus I met my wonderful FI in college, so I would never pass that up.