Post # 1
I am doing a buffet for the wedding. Running out of time here!
Right now I have some of the main selections down but I need some more appetizers. I’m not sure if I’m having a full cocktail hour. My ceremony and reception are in the same space so I probably will just have a 30-45 min break or so for people to find their seats, use the restroom, and get drinks (all photos beforehand). So I’m debating between these being passed or putting them with the buffet. Obviously…things like the sliders I don’t think can really be passed. Something to keep in mind.
My current menu includes:
- beef carving station (with creamy horseradish type sauce)
- chicken or turkey (haven’t decided yet. My chocies are either chicken roulade with prosciuto and fontina or another carving station that was orange ginger turkey. Never would have thought to pick turkey but I did try it at one of their events and it was pretty amazing…haven’t tried the chicken but it sounds good)
- salad (field greens, blue cheese, fresh berries, candied pecans, vinagrette)
- roasted fingerling potatoes
- french green beans (haricot verts almandine)
So I need to add some apps but I’m not sure which ones people would like the best or go the best with the menu. I’m aiming for around 3 things so I want to see what is most popular.
Here are the options (that I think sound good or might complete the menu):
- imported/domestic cheese display
- crostini (brie and pear + housemade ricotta and arugla pesto)
- bruschetta station (3 different toppings, not sure what they are yet)
- miniature seafood cake (blue crab cake with chipotle cream + lobster cake with smoked corn relish)
- savory cupcake (classic italian pizza + buffalo chicken). Would never have went for these but I tried them and they were delish
- slider station (sliders, bacon, carmalized onions, chipotle ketchup, grey poupon, homemade pickle reslish, cheddar cheese)
- spinach artichoke cheese dip (tortilla chips + salsa)
Also, vote on chicken or turkey!!
I have no vegetarians either if that helps. Some of these people are very meat and potatoes type of people.
FWIW there are other chicken options but this sounded the best to me.
Post # 4
I would go with anything that’s already “put together” if that makes sense – e.g. the sliders or the seafood cake. I think it gets messy when there are toppings and dips, e.g. bruschetta, because people have to assemble it on their little plates. Fruit is okay if you have a crowd that likes fruit (high turnover) and chilled. I’m not a fan of cheese displays unless you have a lot of cheese fans because it also needs to have high turnover and be chilled. Otherwise the cheese gets sweaty. It can also get messy if people are trying to slice off chunks of brie or crumbly cheese.
Post # 5
i also voted for the chicken because it sounds delicious and i’m not a fan of turkey.
Post # 6
Turkey has something in it that makes people tired so I voted for the chicken.
Post # 7
@lilbluebird: Thanks! Things can definitely get messy so that’s good to keep in mind.
@ahaerk: Thanks! I was leaning towards the chicken but I didn’t know if people liked the roulade style. I think plain chicken is awfully boring so I need something to jazz mine up.
Post # 9
@ahaerk: Turkey doesn’t make you tired any more than chicken does. People aren’t tired after Thanksgiving dinner because they ate turkey, they are tired because they ate too damn much 😉
Post # 10
@kes18: I think the cupcakes sound very unique, and I also love the idea of a slider station.
Post # 11
@MrsZynxy: Aahhh yeah, I’ve been craving burgers the past few weeks so sliders sound especially delicious to me. I didn’t know if it was too heavy though…
Post # 12
Oh…my gosh…please let me come to your wedding! LOL
I like the chicken better because…proscuitto!! OMG YUM!
App wise, I picked seafood cakes (I’m from MD. we like our crab.), sliders, and bruschetta!!
Post # 13
@inky_1: Thanks for the advice! I love seafood so much, but I know some people aren’t fans!!
Post # 14
I LOVE the sound of the seafood cake, the savory cupcakes and the slider station and always love a fruit and cheese bar. Whatever you choose for apps, I think it’ll be great. Any way you can turn it into a full hour though so no one is rushed? Cocktail hour is a great break and if you’ve already done your photos, you’ll appreciate the extra time with your guests.
I think most people will end up choosing the chicken because the turkey sauce sounds a little strange (it could end up overly sweet) and they’ll worry about getting tired. Because yes, there is a chemical in turkey that causes that, it’s NOT just eating too much at Thanksgiving!