Post # 1
We all know the situation w/ Mexico as the epicenter of the swine flu outbreak. My question is whether or not my fiance and I should still go for our honeymoon from May 25-29. We’re going to the Playa del Carmen/Cancun/Cozmel region.
I am aware that the WHO has recommended that Americans avoid all non-essential travel, but sadly, we did not purchase trip insurance for the entire trip. We might be covered for the flight, but certainly not for the majority of the cost, which is the hotel.
Some insurance companies offer cancellation for any reason, but the purchase date of the insurance has to be within 21 days of the initial trip deposit, which for us was back in early March.
We’re relatively low-income (grad student and post-doc researcher), and we’re also looking to buy a house right now. If we cancel this trip, I doubt we will go on a honeymoon at all.
I also know that some airlines are waiving cancellation fees for the next couple of weeks, but we’re about a month out, and the situation may have cleared up a bit by then.
What do you think?
Post # 3
I would suggest calling the airline and the hotel to see if they can post-pone the trip, give you a credit to use at a later date. Everything in Mexico has been shut down and the outbreak of the swine Flu in NY was due to kids that vacationed over spring break in Cancun. If the hotels are shut down then they might be willing to help you deal with it.
Post # 4
They may at least be willing to "postpone" your hotel reservations, as most places are closed because of the outbreaks. Definitely call and find out if this is an option! Worst case scenario, you postpone your big trip until everything subsides.
Post # 5
I am curious about this too – my best friend is getting married may 23rd, and planning to honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta the week after that. My husband says I should strongly warn her against going…
Post # 6
Are you staying at a chain hotel property, like Starwood or Intercontinental? If so, they may be flexible and let you change to another property. You can also try and change your flight based on the property you book.
Post # 7
I would try to postpone it if you can! Call the hotel and see what they will say! regardless of insurance, the US may even close borders to mexico and I can’t imagine they won’t be understanding about that..
Post # 8
I’m in the same boat – planning on going to Playa del Carmen from may 27th to june 3rd. I REALLY still want to go, and now with reports that it seems to be stablizing, and that it’s more mild than originally thought, we still might. Although no one will want to hang out with me for a while when I get back
Post # 9
It’s just the flu…. I think you’ll be fine. More people die from the normal flu each year- thousands more! The flu is also concentrated in the big cities and metro areas. The resort areas are farther south and very clean, well protected, and safe. My guess would be that there are probably more swine flu cases near you in the US than there wll be in Mexico…
Post # 10
@soysauce: I live in Mexico, and i’m aware af all restrictions our government has set up as a protection not only for us, but for turists also. My wedding day it’s a reflection of that.
After all that, we were kinda sad because we thought our honeymoon had to be canceled or something, but we still decided to go and we stayed in Cancun just last week and everything was perfectly fine, clean and safe. Only bars and that kind of places were closed, but we don’t like them anyway (malls, supermarkets, beaches, aquariums, diving places were open)
I can assure you that if you take all precautions recommended , everything will be fine. I work for a French Consulate in Yucatan, and i’m constantly receiving news about cases in the Peninsula (wich also includes Cancun-Playa-Cozumel) and only one case has been reported like positive.
Good luck on your decision!
Post # 11
So, just an update…we’ve decided to still go to Mexico for our honeymoon.
United cancelled our flight and rebooked us through Chicago, but we got the money back and rebooked w/ US Airways. Saved $$ and decided to stay an extra night! I think it will be fine…ultimately, we agree w/ comments like alissa07 made, and we are indeed closer to outbreaks in NY/CT than we would be in Playa del Carmen. We’re really excited to go see Tulum, and we’ve taken advantage of fewer tourists in the area by booking another tour to see Chichen Itza!
Thanks for all the advice! I’ve been telling everyone I’ll bring them back a souvenir from Mexico…..
Post # 12
@ soysauce – I hope you have a fantastic time. We have decided to leave our Playa del Carmen plans in place for the 2nd week of June upon the recommendation of several friends who work at the CDC. Have a blast and if you think of it let me know is you feel traveling there was "odd" etc when you get back.