- 4 years ago
- Wedding: August 2012
I’m hoping someone can provide some insight.
I’m currently 8w3d (!!!) and have scheduled an appointment with a midwife – extremely difficult to get into where I am from (western Canada). I’m so excited as I believe strongly in midwives and what they do.
The problem is that my husband is skeptical and would prefer a doctor (he isn’t really informed on either, he just feels like a doctor would be better because they are a doctor). We’ve decided together that even if we use a midwife, we will have the delivery at a hospital, but he would still feel more comfortabale to at least have an appointment with a doctor before we make the decision.
The problem is that I have the appointment with the midwife already, and my family doctor referred me to a separate maternity clinic (I didn’t tell her about the midwife). I had to tell the maternity clinic that I was not seeing a midwife, nor was I on a waitlist (a lie, obviously), and now I’m really scared of the potential consequences. I don’t think they can find out about each other, and frankly, I don’t care if the maternity clinic doesn’t want me as a patient because I really want to go with the midwife, but I am concerned about losing my place at the midwife because it is so difficult to get one in my city.
Has anyone been in this situation? Is this normal for all cities, where a maternity clinic will not see you if you are considering a midwife? Have your husbands been reluctant to use a midwife?