I am sorry that you are going through this.
I have a somewhat similar situation with MIL that I’m not sure how it will go when our baby boy is born.
BG Info: DH and I got married in March 2013, found out we were pregnant 12/19/12. Neither of our families are super religious, so they didn’t mind that the baby was conceived before we were married. My family lives 10 miles away, his family is an hour and 10 minute plane ride away and we see them every other month.
1. She wasn’t as thrilled about the baby as my parents were. Okay, that’s fine. Maybe it was a shock at first.
2. She very, very rarely asks about how I am doing or how my appointments are. I was updating her after every appointment to try to keep her in the loop since she doesn’t live close by, and shoot, it’s their first grandbaby! I stopped updating her on my appointments around week 24, unless she asked DH how they went (which has happened once)
3. When we went to go visit them in May, DH and I took MIL and FIL to Target and asked them to pick out a car seat (for us to purchase for them) so that when we came to visit, they would have a car seat here to use for the baby in their car so we wouldn’t have to pay for a plane ticket for the baby for awhile. MIL said “that’s not necessary.” We don’t need that junk just sitting around. Then proceeded to make a comment about how in her children’s days, they put babies in buckets as car seats. Our feelings were very, very hurt.
4. On that same visit, MIL suggested that we take a 5 mile hike up the mountains or go jet-skiing at the lake. She is a NURSE and knows that women in their third trimester should not be jet-skiing. Plus, the altitude mixed with the heat would not have been a good time had we gone hiking.
5. On her visit here last weekend, for her birthday, she barely talked about the upcoming birth, except to inform us that they would be visiting in September to meet him. It was also her birthday weekend. We live in Oklahoma and it was 101 degrees out. We asked MIL what she wanted to do for her birthday. She gave three options of what she wanted to do (I was 36 weeks at this visit). her options: 1. Go to a local amusement park. 2. Go hike around the lake or 3. Rent a boat at another lake. DH informed her that his 36 week pregnant wife was not going to be going to walk around the lake, go powerboating, or ride rollercoaster rides. DH offered to take her and FIL, and I told her that I had plenty to do around the house to keep me busy while they had a nice time. She pouted and said she would “settle for going swimming.”
I’m frustrated. At my wit’s ends. I don’t know how to please her. I don’t know if she is having a hard time adjusting to DH having his own family starting, or if she is just so self centered and narrow minded.
So, OP, I’m with you. I have no idea how much interest she will show in our baby. I’m sorry you are going through this as well. 🙁 I hope that she comes around!