- 5 years ago
- Wedding: June 2014 - Ontario, Canada ♥ EDD- April 2016
I feel kind of weird writing this, since I don’t really know how to feel about our e-shoot. I was hoping maybe talking about it on here could kind of help me sort out my feelings…
Yesterday was our engagement session and we spent so long getting prepared for it. It took us both hours to get ready and so so much prep time in the weeks leading up. I had been looking forward to our engagement shoot since before the proposal so it’s safe to say I put a ton of effort into the plans and everything.
There’s a beautiful Edwardian mansion in our hometown that has been converted into a museum. We paid about $170 (including taxes) about a month ago to book it for our engagement session for an hour. On Saturday our photographer emailed and said we should see if there’s anyway we could transfer that payment to another date since the forecast was calling for rain. We called the mansion and they couldn’t change it for us because they were reopening the mansion specifically for us on that date/time and the person in charge of that was coming back early from her weekend vacation to do that for us. My FI and I understood that and understood that we signed a contract so we figured we would just go ahead with the shoot rain or shine (the mansion is pretty sheltered and has tons of covered areas).
We were about to start the shoot and our photographer cancelled and said that it was just too bad of a day and we couldn’t do it (it was overcast and lightly raining). I was so upset, I had just spent like almost two hours on my makeup and had done 3 full on DIY makeup trials a couple of days before. We were all dressed up and had made a special trip to our hometown for this shoot and had already paid for the mansion. I asked if we could just try to do a couple shots (even just on the covered veranda or under the trees) so that it wasn’t a complete waste of $170. They eventually agreed and did some shots and after the shoot they sent us one and it looks beautiful!
They said that they want to still do a real engagement session with us, but we won’t get to see the pictures from yesterday until the second session is done. I’m just really disappointed because…
- I was looking forward to these shots at the mansion and there were places and architectural details I was hoping would get photographed but due to the light rain and overcast lighting the photographer said they wouldn’t work out and dismissed them.
- My FI and I were trying to be positive about the situation, and were still trying to have fun and treat it like our actual engagement shoot, but our photographers were frustrated that the mansion probably wouldn’t transfer our payment and so there was a lot of tension at our shoot. It felt like it was our fault that the shoot wasn’t being done in ideal conditions and it felt kind of like they were just humoring us without expecting to get anything worthwhile out of it 🙁 I understand it was probably a really tough situation for them, obviously the lighting wasn’t the best, it was an unfamiliar setting, and it was sprinkling and there was a lot of pressure to get some shots.
- It just felt like such a let down, after preparing for so long and being so excited for the mansion, being faced with the real possibility that most of our best shots won’t be from this first shoot at the mansion. It’s kind of sad, but I’m not even excited about a second shoot with them because all our efforts for the first shoot felt so unappreciated and like a waste of time 🙁
- I just wonder..if they were this like unhappy/negative in the rain for our e-shoot, what will they be like if it rains on our wedding? I mean, we can’t just reschedule our wedding because of the weather.
- This whole shoot was nothing like in my head and without seeing the pictures I’m imagining the worst (as in a couple of good shots and the rest were a total waste of time) 🙁
If we can transfer the payment to another date or even just pay a reduced price for another shoot at the mansion we will and hopefully it will all work out. The shot they showed us looks so natural and beautiful and the mansion is the perfect backdrop so I’m confident the pictures would be even more gorgeous in ideal weather.
If we can’t transfer the payment the photographers still want to do a full shoot with us (which is really nice of them since they traveled to the mansion and shot us for a little while even though they really just wanted to go back home), but I just don’t even want to think about all this prep for a second time, especially with so many assignments coming up at school and the confusing feelings from yesterday.
If the rest of the photos look as good as the one they sent yesterday then I’ll be pretty satisfied with our shoot and will be able to overlook the shots we didn’t get. I don’t know if there will be a need for a second shoot (although I get that the photographer feels these photos will be pretty useless to their business since I don’t think they feel they’re worthy of their blog or portfolio), but if we can work out a deal with the mansion then we’ll definitely get some additional shots there in (hopefully) better weather.
This situation was obviously no one’s fault, it was just a series of unfortunate events and everyone handled it as well as they could at the time. I’m thankful that our photographers ended up taking some pictures so that the $170 wasn’t completely wasted. I think our photographers do amazing work, which is why we picked them, it was just a frustrating and rushed situation. I wish I could feel more excited about our shoot and I really hope that, if we have a second shoot, it has a more positive atmosphere so that we can leave feeling a lot more confident about our shots and ourselves as a couple.
Thanks to everyone who made it to the end 😉